Display 8800X3800 pixel .jpg on a 1080X1920 native resolution 52 flat panel

Dabeas

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hello,
I need to display a 8800X3800 pixel .jpg (converted from .dwg and .tif file) on a 1080X1920 native resolution 52 inch flat panel without degredation of quality. The original file is an AutoCad drawing file showing lots of detail such as symbols, text, and dimensions. Even converted to .jpg the file is still almost 2mb and too big without zooming to fit the screen without going virtual. So when you zoom out so it fits the screen, you can't read the text. I also tried resizing even smaller to approx. 1080X1920 but that proved even more unreadable (text). Next I tried (using MS Picture Manager)to compress to 1024X758 but that looked even worse displayed. Maybe what I'm trying to do can't be done, but I would appreciate some advice anyway.

Thanks,

Jerry

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
I am sorry, but there is no way you can display that without a loss of quality.

However, the way you reduce it can reduce the amount lost. For example, you could first open up the TIFF file in Photoshop, Gimp, or other similar software. Then resize it to 1920x829 using Bicubic Sharper resampling. Then save it as a high quality (90 or better) JPEG or better yet a PNG.

If that does not work then you will need to use a larger font on the original DWG and then reduce as above.

Dabeas

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Phil,

Thanks for the excellent reply . I'll give it a try at work where they have Photoshop. Like you say, I can make the font larger and that will help the readability. I also wondered if I changed the drawing scale from 1 inch = 6 inches to 1 inch=12 inches would help. The reduction in size to fit a 1080p screen from a smaller drawing should have less of of an impact on resolution.. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jerry

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

Hey, no problem; I do graphics like that all the time as a web developer ;)

I do not know enough about CAD software to know whether changing the scale will help.

Good luck.