Solved! Displaying a mid-tower on the laptop screen

moqamar

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys!
I want to know if its possible to use the Laptop LCD as a normal display; actually i want to connect my mid tower pc to it and use the laptops screen as a monitor. Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Solution
Hello moqamar;
Not an easy project. There is no way you can use the laptop LCD as your desktops primary display without jumping through a few hoops first.

This is what a typical LCD screen uses for power and data signal input.
LCDCable.jpg

This is what your typical desktop graphics output ports look like.
s-video_vga_dvi_port_cable_tips_how_to_connect_your_my_pc_computer_desktop_laptop_to_tv_television_lcd_plasma.jpg

In anycase, you've left out a LOT of important details needed to answer your question.
Like... the laptop is still working OK, correct?

My advice is to bite the bullet and get a desktop LCD monitor for...
Hello moqamar;
Not an easy project. There is no way you can use the laptop LCD as your desktops primary display without jumping through a few hoops first.

This is what a typical LCD screen uses for power and data signal input.
LCDCable.jpg

This is what your typical desktop graphics output ports look like.
s-video_vga_dvi_port_cable_tips_how_to_connect_your_my_pc_computer_desktop_laptop_to_tv_television_lcd_plasma.jpg

In anycase, you've left out a LOT of important details needed to answer your question.
Like... the laptop is still working OK, correct?

My advice is to bite the bullet and get a desktop LCD monitor for your desktop PC.

Solution
I agree with WR2. It's a serious PITA to even attempt to use a laptop lcd as a display on a desktop. You'll save yourself a lot of time and hassle if you save up and buy a new display. Check out the Dell outlet center if you are tight on cash right now, as they usually have some good deals.