Distilled water for Mobo and GPU

swagsticious

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Hi there!
I would like to ask if it is a good idea to clean my Mobo and GPU with distilled water because i got some sugar from an energy drink on it. Also I'd like to ask if i can just dunk them into the water or do i need to pour it over them and for how long. Also i don't have alcohol so please don't write alcohol as an answer.
Ty in advance

Solution
Distilled water will work, but make sure you remove the battery and and drain the caps, you will have to leave it to dry for a long time, to make sure that there's absolutely no liquid left. I must say I wouldn't be brave enough to do it, even knowing that nothing should happen to it.

Dylzan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I know of someone that uses a combo of de-ionised water and antifreeze in their custom loop, I guess one of those would be OK, though make sure it's in moderation and is completely removed before the GPU is put back in the system. Of course, alcohol would be better, Isopropyl, as pure as possible.

InvalidError

Distinguished
You can get a bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol for less than $2 at most drugstores.

The biggest problems with water is that it can take a very long time to completely dry off if it gets in places with little airflow, may leech various chemicals from components, becomes conductive after picking up contaminants and ruin your board when you turn it on.

Pouring water on the board or dunking it would have a high probability of causing water to get in places you may not even suspect it could get into.

You should limit your cleaning to affected areas. Personally, I would simply wick off as much of the spill I can, dry the rest with a hair dryer and call it a day unless some of the spill was on headers/slots, then I would clean those before drying the board.

Ytyoussef

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Distilled water will work, but make sure you remove the battery and and drain the caps, you will have to leave it to dry for a long time, to make sure that there's absolutely no liquid left. I must say I wouldn't be brave enough to do it, even knowing that nothing should happen to it.

Solution

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Leave the CPU in the socket so liquid won't get into the tiny holes it it. You can use a soft brush to clean all the sticky goo on it and after that use a hairdryer. Then leave it someplace well ventilated for a while, and put it all back together.

InvalidError

Distinguished

The problem with 100% alcohol when cleaning a sugary mess is that sugar is not soluble in alcohol. You need water or some other solvent for that. Water dissolves the sugar and alcohol flushes it out for a quicker drying.

InvalidError

Distinguished

True.

But then again, most electronics cleaners are intended to clean stuff that normally ends up on PCBs like dust, oil, solder flux, water, some glues, etc. Sugary drinks are not one of those things that should normally get inside electronics so it is quite possible that many if not most electronics cleaners may not have any solvents capable of dissolving sucrose and other sugars.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
It woked with water for me in one single case that i had. A friend spilled coke on the laptop and he moved pretty fast to unpluging the adapter and taking out the battery. And i cleaned it like i said: water + brush + very good drying. And apparently it's still working since he hasn't come to me crying about it.

InvalidError

Distinguished

A little luck with where the spill goes and cutting power before it reaches anything critical are the two most important factors at saving electronics: if liquid reaches something critical like the core voltage VRM feedback loop for the CPU before power is removed, it can be game over in an instant with the VRM sending straight 12-24V battery voltage to the CPU.