DIY Airsoft Minigun Shoots 10,000 Rounds/Minute

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]$200 BB's? really? Sorry I have trouble believing that. Especially since you say that is the price for EACH ONE. half a million dollars for 12 seconds and then years looking for all the BB's you shot.You could buy a real minigun and build your own range to shoot it in for that. I cry BS.Not even if they were High-Explosive, proximity detonating tracer rounds would they be worth that....Speaking of which[/citation]

/facepalm

Youtube: Meet the heavy.

It's a joke, damn it.

G

I love how the guy who face planted with his comment is called face-plants.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
It may be non-lethal, but if you fire this for any length of time at a person standing on a solid floor (rather than mud etc) they'd have to be blasted careful not to slip over and injure themselves when they try to move. Instant ball pit

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
While I'm a car guy, even I know that relative to guns, RPM stands for ROUNDS Per Minute, not Revolutions Per Minute.

[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]People people! It's not RPM, it's Feet Per Second. RPM implies that this gun rotates... which it does not according to the article that's at the top of the page.[/citation]

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Magnesium might be cheaper but it is not easier to work with. if you did any machining you would have to be very careful since magnesium is highly reactive with oxygen and tends to ignite. Al is much easier to work with. or just use an alloy of both.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]People people! It's not RPM, it's Feet Per Second. RPM implies that this gun rotates... which it does not according to the article that's at the top of the page.[/citation]

Fail, it's rounds per minute. Learn to read. It is not rounds per second, feet per second, rounds per feet, chuck norrises per hour, or any other random term you can throw at it.

asus x48

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]why not just get the echo 1 minigun that actually has spinning barrels?[/citation]
It's info on both fps and rpm's for speed of the "round" and the speed of how many can be "fired"per min's and no it does not have to rotate to tell you how many you can fire. And tech/is not a minigun or does not use any fire/flame/propelant it just uses co2 or compressed air as a propelant. A semiauto is better in combat higher kill ratio.or three round bru's.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]...chuck norrises per hour, or any other random term you can throw at it.[/citation]ROFL RAGE I SPILT MAH COFFEE!!! XD That was the best laugh I've had since yesterday!

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]How about magnesium for the bulk of the metal? About 2/3 the weight of aluminium. Then use tungsten for the gears/whatever has a high amount of strain.Magnesium is apparently easier to machine than aluminium, and is rather cheap.Tungsten may be difficult to work with, but it'd be used in small amounts. Yeah, it needs some mad spinning action.Maybe I should never own a firearm...[/citation]

the problem is that when magnesium gets hot it catches fire. engine blocks in old air cooled VW's were made out of this. if you have ever seen a VW car-b-que you will know why magnesium is a bad idea.

i worked as a machinist for a while after i got out of the air force. Making the it out of 356 or 713.1 aircraft quality aluminum would be best. both are rather soft and easy to machine. you would need to heat treat it to prevent permature ware after machining. 713.1 you can heat treat it yourself to T5 specs at 250 degrees for 12 hours in an oven or you can let it self harden to t1 specs by leaving it alone at room temp for 12-14 days.

gears are the hardest part to machine. I would make them out of a high quality chromemoly steel.

heavy weapons guy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]You obviously haven't met the heavy[/citation]

HAHA! Entire ammo clip is Babies (BBs)
It costs 5000 Dollars to pretend to be Heavy...for 12 seconds...and probably ur life as well...
>:D

G

Personally, I would prefer carrying something a little more mobile in to the field. Don't get me wrong I love seeing innovations like this, and this is one Badass gun, practicality is something else. I carry a Mk43 like this: http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-ARES-MK43-19.htm , and I get a really great rate of fire, and I don't have to worry about blowing through my entire month's supply of BBs in one game. I think that although this is something that would make the perfect addition to your Terminator Costume for this halloween I would personally stick to my Airsplat gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.