Solved! Do I need a new laptop or can I upgrade the processor on one I already have.. any help is appreciated

NardsIsh

Great
Jun 24, 2020
Hi my son wants to start to load the games plays on his Xbox onto YouTube.

This is so beyond my field of expertise, so any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

He apparently needs a device to capture game play on his Xbox, so I was looking to purchase the Elgato S and or Elgato S+.

The requirements for these are the CPU needs to be multi-core, Intel Processors Intel CPU, it should be a 4th Gen Intel Core i5, or a processor from a newer generation and or an AMD Processor that is at least as powerful as a 4th Gen Intel Core i5 processor.

I have the following laptops but can’t work out whether they match the requirements? They all say they’re i5 but have no idea Gen and or whether they’re multi-core.
I have tried to Google the specs for them all but I just got even more confused.

Toshiba TECRA A50-A

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC i5-3210m

Acer TravelMate P633-M

Can anyone please advise whether any of the laptops I currently have support the Elgato?

Or do I need to upgrade to a better laptop (if so do you have any suggestions please) or can the processor on one of my ones I have be upgraded?

Many many thanks in advance

Solution
This is not a trustworthy side, it can help in some situations, but you really have to check by yourself afterwards. It only checks the official statements of the products, which can be misleading.

HP Pavilion X360 14-DH1018TU 14" 2-in-1 Laptop (256GB) Model:8JT13PA
Or
ASUS VivoBook 15 D509DA 15.6" Ryzen 5 Windows 10 Notebook
The Ryzen notebook might not work with the elgato
the HP should work

Choice for laptops under say $1,500 is limited due to so many containing...
Both laptops are supporting, intel quick sync (hardware encoder)

i3-3210m is 3rd gen Intel CPU -> dual core CPU

Acer TravelMate P633-M might be 2nd gen -> dual core CPU

I would try the elgato HD60 S with the HP laptop. If it doesn´t work, a new laptop or PC would be needed
What´s your budget?

NardsIsh

Great
Jun 24, 2020
Hi Helpstar...thank you for your message 🤩 I just found a post that said whilst my HP is a quad core it’s only 3rd Gen 😢

My budget is as cheap as possible 😂 only because we have to buy the Elgato, a microphone and possibly a new tv and or Xbox as my son now tells me his Xbox is lagging 😩 thankfully we only have one child as this dream of his is turning out to be an expensive one 😉😂

NardsIsh

Great
Jun 24, 2020
Hi again Helpstar

I sort some advice from a guy in computer section of a store and he recommended the following laptops to support the Elgato HD60S.

Are you able to assist in recommending either and or advising whether they would support the Elgato HD60S please?

Or

Choice for laptops under say $1,500 is limited due to so many containing Graphics cards that don’t support NVENC technology :(

However, on the plus, I was able to confirm through the link below that none of the laptops I have now, support the device. Such a great tool but unfortunate it doesn’t allow you to input specs manually to see if the one you are considering to buy meets the specifications required :(

Elgato HD60S system checker
https://www.systemrequirementslab.c...60 S,VERTEX SHADER: 4.1. 8 USB VERSION: 3.0.

This is not a trustworthy side, it can help in some situations, but you really have to check by yourself afterwards. It only checks the official statements of the products, which can be misleading.

Or
the HP should work

Choice for laptops under say $1,500 is limited due to so many containing Graphics cards that don’t support NVENC technology :(
not only nvenc is supporting the elgato, intel quick sync and amd GPUs (not APUs) VCE3.x will do as well
https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/ar...gato-Game-Capture-HD60-S-System-Requirements-

Solution

NardsIsh

Great
Jun 24, 2020

the HP should work

not only nvenc is supporting the elgato, intel quick sync and amd GPUs (not APUs) VCE3.x will do as well
https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/ar...gato-Game-Capture-HD60-S-System-Requirements-

Thanks, I know but sifting through compatible intel and amd is just as confusing :(

its´quite simple:
all Intel APUs (integrated graphics unit in the CPU) currently out there support this Elgato device,
AMD APUs like the Ryzen laptops with VEGA graphics unit and no additional dedicated GPU, will most likely not support the Elgato device