Solved! Do I really need a amp/dac for Sennheiser HD 58X?

Nov 7, 2018
Do I really need an amp/dac for a Sennheiser HD 58X with a modmic 5? I also have a Logitech Z623 Speaker System. Or will a Sound Blaster Z work fine with my setup?

Solution
D
A good soundcard is easily equal to entry level separates. For your use and with those headphones I say go with the soundcard. You've got a decent DAC and amp paired with virtual surround for games all in one place. Even something cheap like the Asus Xonar DG would be decent.

I don't think the HD58X rewards better equipment like the HD650/6XX does.

Since you already have the SBZ, that is already above and beyond typical on-board audio and it's no slouch with the Cirrus Logic CS4398-CZZ DAC. I guess you just have to ask yourself how serious you are about listening to music and just music, and weather it will justify a dedicated DAC like the e10k. IMHO the SBZ will more than suffice.

Personally, my PC focus is gaming (as yours sounds like it is also), and all my music listening is done through my Onkyo AVR (which IMHO is just as good if not better than the E10k!)

Nov 7, 2018

I don't have the SBZ yet, so would you recommend the SBZ or a DAC? I do listen to some music/lot of youtube type stuff and some gaming. I don't really want to spend more then $100 though.

Ah my mistake, it's a tough call: The SBZ may be the better choice since it does have some very cool features specific for gaming, and near the top of your budget. The E10k would be the way to go if your PC was your sole music source, listening to lossless FLAC and such, and is a bit easier on the wallet at $75.

Personally I am using a Samson SR850 with the Zalman lapel mic, connected to a Sound Blaster Play!3. It's perfect for my use - work, games, and the usual youtube here and there. The SBX surround I prefer for a large majority of all games I play, its very configurable and the SBZ has even more features. The casual music I listen to (mostly shoutcast streams) also sound excellent.

D

Deleted member 217926

A good soundcard is easily equal to entry level separates. For your use and with those headphones I say go with the soundcard. You've got a decent DAC and amp paired with virtual surround for games all in one place. Even something cheap like the Asus Xonar DG would be decent.

I don't think the HD58X rewards better equipment like the HD650/6XX does.

Solution