Do Monitors get damaged by touching/wiping?

Vespill

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
I recently bought an ultrawide, LG 38WK95C. While setting it up on my desk I got fingerprints on the screen. So I decided to wipe it with a microfiber cloth. I didn't put too much pressure, but it seems the prints are stubborn. A quick test showed the screen worked just fine, but I've been worried I caused some sort of damage I can't see during that process. This may be really stupid, but I want to know if touching or wiping a monitor with gentle to medium force does anything.
Additionally, I keep the monitor near a window, where it recieves some natural light. It's not direct sunlight, but would that be enough to cause some fading or yellowing?

Solution
As long as you're gentle and use a microfibre you should be fine. Rather than putting pressure, try using some screen cleaning fluid. The sunlight shouldn't be a problem.

tambeshakunt

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
As long as you're gentle and use a microfibre you should be fine. Rather than putting pressure, try using some screen cleaning fluid. The sunlight shouldn't be a problem.

Solution

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Is that monitor white on the back? It's possible that the UV light could cause some yellowing to the plastic case over time. Some plastics tend to be more susceptible to yellowing than others though, so it's difficult to say for sure.