Question Do RAM and video card upgrades for the 16" macbook make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2020
Hi all. I am going to buy the new 16" Macbook Pro soon and I am wondering if the RAM and video card upgrades make sense. My current laptop is a 2013 15" Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GT 750M 2 GB. It works alright, but I am hoping that the new laptop will last me another 5 years at least.

For work, I need and use: Vectorworks, Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I also use Premiere Pro, After Effects, Lightroom and some other programs that are less intensive. I've played around with Rhino / Grasshopper and that may continue in the future. I don't really play games, at least not on this laptop.

The base model has 16GB RAM and the upgrade to 32GB is €480, which I think is a lot of money. The base model has a AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB and the upgrade has a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB, for €240. Not as much, but again I'm wondering if I would really use or need it.

What do you think? All advice is greatly appreciated!

jigneshpadhiyar

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
I guess six years of use is enough, even if it is your 2013 MacBook Pro. You might work on heavier software in future, and that would be the time you regret not having the latest device. Moreover, macOS Catalina supports MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later); probably, Apple will discontinue the MacBook Pro 2013 in its next macOS update. So think of future, and make a smart decision.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi all. I am going to buy the new 16" Macbook Pro soon and I am wondering if the RAM and video card upgrades make sense. My current laptop is a 2013 15" Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GT 750M 2 GB. It works alright, but I am hoping that the new laptop will last me another 5 years at least.

For work, I need and use: Vectorworks, Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I also use Premiere Pro, After Effects, Lightroom and some other programs that are less intensive. I've played around with Rhino / Grasshopper and that may continue in the future. I don't really play games, at least not on this laptop.

The base model has 16GB RAM and the upgrade to 32GB is €480, which I think is a lot of money. The base model has a AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB and the upgrade has a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB, for €240. Not as much, but again I'm wondering if I would really use or need it.

What do you think? All advice is greatly appreciated!
Are you playing with these apps (personal use only) or is this the device you make a living with?

Status
Not open for further replies.