Question Do you think my preamp is 'defective'?

Sep 8, 2022
Hello, in 2020 I bought a Behringer MIC500USB pre-amp, I have always had a "noise" in my audio and I thought it was just how things were. Today I was changing my microphone and I noticed that the "noise" is present even if there's no mic plugged in (how I never noticed before, I do not know!) but following that I contacted the manufacturer and sent a clip of my audio with no microphone plugged in (will link to audio at the end) and they have said they believe it's defective, I'd like your opinion too, before I go and purchase a new one.
Some info: It's powered via d/c connection (connected to an extension lead as I only have 2 wall sockets), makes this sound with no XLR inputs connected, connected via USB (all ports on my pc are 3.0, I haven't got another computer with 2.0 to try), in the clip I have it at my normal gain level, I up it to around 60% and then lower to minimum.

The audio:
https://whyp.it/tracks/41467/is-this-defective?token=ppX0o

If there's anything else you need in terms of information, let me know. What do you think? Is the unit defective or is there something that is causing this?
Thanks in advance!

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
they have said they believe it's defective, I'd like your opinion too, before I go and purchase a new one.

If it's defective you should beg them for a free replacement. I've never been impressed with Behringer products, they've sent me a few review samples and after reviewing them I asked them to stop sending me ewaste.

Either way it sounds like a grounding issue to me.

Sep 8, 2022
If it's defective you should beg them for a free replacement. I've never been impressed with Behringer products, they've sent me a few review samples and after reviewing them I asked them to stop sending me ewaste.

Either way it sounds like a grounding issue to me.

I'm not entirely sure that it is defective at the moment, I'm just frustrated by the amount of noise that's there even with no microphone connected, I've been using an expander to deal with it but even with this you can kind of hear the noise behind my voice which has been annoying me for months.

Let's say it is a grounding issue, it's making the noise with just being powered via the dc cable and the USB connection to the pc, do you have any advice on how would I go about solving that?

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I'm just frustrated by the amount of noise that's there even with no microphone connected,

Preamps should be noise free. If the MFG says its defective, and there's unintended behaviour, it's their job to replace it. Where do you live? They might be legally compelled to refund or replace it.

it's making the noise with just being powered via the dc cable and the USB connection to the pc, do you have any advice on how would I go about solving that?

Try a different DC cable and a different USB cable. If the issue persists then it's likely an internal issue.

Sep 8, 2022
Preamps should be noise free. If the MFG says its defective, and there's unintended behaviour, it's their job to replace it. Where do you live? They might be legally compelled to refund or replace it.

Try a different DC cable and a different USB cable. If the issue persists then it's likely an internal issue.

I live in the UK, from what I understand the statutory warranty is six months from date of purchase, they do have a 3 year warranty providing you register the product within 90 days of purchase which I didn't do, I tried to register it yesterday but was denied so I think them replacing it is out the window..

I will try a different DC cable, I will have to purchase one though, as for the USB I have one laying around somewhere, I'll give it a go now.

Edit: the USB cable didn't make a difference

Appreciate the response.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022
Well I tried the new power supply and the same problem occurs so I'm going to buy a new mixer and see how that fares, appreciate the help regardless!