Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

this is just my own opinion and it is nothing that hasn't already been stated in this post.

in my opinion the best antivirus is safe web habits and also common sense.
paid antivirus or free antivirus is a must and paid or free anti-malware is also a must and just good to use.
I prefer on demand anti-malware so that it doesn't cause conflicts with my antivirus. not all real time anti-malware will conflict with antivirus however there is some that can and will.
the next important thing is to learn and play with your firewall settings these to will help to block unwanted exploits. bumping them up can add a strong level of protection.
never open email attachments that you didn't request. if I didn't send for it then I don't open it.
any virus that I ever had is where I opened an attachment or I let it in when I did open something that appeared and "BAM" infected. that was before I knew better.
finally always remember even with the best protective software that no operating system is "BULLETPROOF" it just ain't.
last thing keep your computers updated.
just my opinions from my own experience.

the poorguy.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

You are right. Most average users however dont even know what Firewall is less to configure it :D
I think the point here is which AV would give you best experience overall. I personally value soft that would just notify me of possible threat and not automatically block it, also it should be light, having integrated rootkit and malware scanner is a plus although I would always check with another soft to be sure. Not making conflicts with games is a huge bonus for me as last few I tried failed there. They either block some games or crash.
After going through NOD32 in like 98' - 2007' and then moving to Symantec for few years to find that MSE is light and silent in like 2010 I used it up untill the beginning of 2015 and never found any issues on my computers. Because of this thread I found out that its not as good as it was (also it failed cleaning computers at my work). Now im using AVG (which I though of crap AV) but so far it is prommising, almost no conflicts with games and it does let me choose what to do every time.

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

IMO, IObit isn't too trustworthy. Apparently they stole the Malwarebytes sig database a while back. Can't say I found many good 3rd party tests for the products.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Thanks for the reply... like I said I needed not more than 15 min of having it running to see its not worth. Also as i stated on my above post my personal favorite for now is AVG, although it is a bit heavy for some older machines (less than 1GB ram)

G

i have tried many of the free antivirus that is available and have to agree that avg free is ok and i have never had any conflicts or issues at all. the only problem that i find with it is all of the crap they what to install for you that i feel is not needed. but it is free. one thing i do like about it is the game mode feature.

i did buy kapersky antivirus that SR-71 Blackbird posted for $8.00 that seems to run without even being noticed. has a few cool extras for online banking and credit card services. seems to be that paid suites has that to offer as the free ones do not. also small footprint for the features that it has. damn sure worth the $8.00 price tag.

G

ok need some input on panda antivirus because I don't believe that I have seen anything said about it and was wanting some input.

thanks the poorguy

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I don't have any personal experience with Panda-anything, but I hear that is the most popular comp protection in Asia.

G

reason i am asking is for the simple fact alot of people who use laptops complain that they always have to wait for the current antivirus to update and sometimes scan and i know panda is always suppose to be updated when you get online. i use it on my laptops and have no problems. i like it but just don't find alot of in the field use. guess i will continue searching.

thanks the poorguy

Turb0Yoda

Honorable
Herald
Jul 12, 2013

I think they have a US version as well, but I am not sure how it compares to the Asian version

G

hey all, here is what i am doing i have put together a desktop and installed windows 7 32 bit and also installed panda 2015 free antivirus and i am going to download some viruses and malware to test it as no one really seems to have used this antivirus. will post my findings. the reason i installed 32bit OS is because the processor is a pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb socket 478 with 2.0gb ddr ram. desktop is a dell dimension B110. but it should do very well for this testing purposes. love my junk box builds.

thanks the poorguy

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Want to get your opinion whether this is good or do you still prefer Trend Micro. Basically I run Windows AV (along with malwarebytes, and spybot S&D) and never have any issues (smart safe browsing helps), however I need something a bit more comprehensive and not maintenance intensive for my fiancee (I just bought her a Win 8.1 convertible laptop/tablet). Since these guys usually give offer 3-5 licenses I figure may as well use myself, but the reason I stopped using these big name solutions is I hate the fact that anything I've used in the past (Norton, McAfee, and eventually AVG became) is a huge resource hog. And I was never getting viruses anyway.

Amazon has Trend Micro premium for $35
http://smile.amazon.com/Trend-Micro-Premium-Security-2015/dp/B00MUY6LL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1429712862&sr=1-1&keywords=trend+micro

although strangely its not downloadable, hopefully it allows me to make a USB key or something so I can install it on her machine. We need something for her, she is a google searcher who tends to just click stuff...... Your thoughts?

Edit: Not that the average joe knows much about this, but Trend Micro has the highest ratings on Amazon by far over any of the other paid solutions.

G

hey rogue leader, the blackbird tuned me on to a download from newegg 1 time download for 1 computer under $10.00 bucks awhile back kaspersky. it seems to be good and i like the features it has for online banking and credit card buying. $20.00 bucks is not bad for 5 devices even if you have to download it for each computer. i am a freeware user but if i can buy cheap i will. safe web habits always the best.

the poorguy

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Well I was going to suggest that you try same on a VM, atleast thats how i tested most of the free AVs used here

G

hey vesp3r, yeah what i do is just install windows 7 and don't activate it as i can do all my testing in a few days or so,this way i don't lose an activation. so far the viruses that would run when i called for them Panda antivirus 2015 free has blocked them all. there cloud base seems to be really good. probably move on to the malware tomorrow and see what happens. so far Panda seems to be ok and don't really no that it is there. doesn't hog resources on this 9 year old dell.

thanks the poorguy

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
free as free to use or trial version?
Keep me posted as im still looking for a light reliable free AV for my home PC

UPDATE: I went ahead and installed it on my work pc. My first impression is good so far, it dropped my mem use with about 5% after switching from AVG Free
All that Metro look keeps me reserved but i`ll give it a try for few days

G

yeah i don't care for the metro look but everything seems geared to that. free version is for free and they also offer a paid version but unless I can get it dirt cheap I will stay with the free version. I have used this antivirus on my laptop but I hardly ever use my laptop so I never new how the antivirus was as far as protection etc. I will keep you posted and I am also going to try and find some super infected websites and see what it does.

thanks the poorguy

G

ok as far as I can tell panda free antivirus 2015 seems to be a good solid choice. it blocked all virus and malware that I ran on it. I also compared avg free antivirus as I use it also and results were the same.
I am going to use it and see what happens. it does use less resources than avg and it doesn't seem to have the crapware and or tuneup extras that is not needed. in my unprofessional opinion it appears to be as good as most other free antivirus by giving basic protection. I will see how I like it after a few weeks of web surfing on some questionable sites.

thanks the poorguy

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

I will run some tests too but with online games and lots of torrent downloads to see how it goes. I also infected my VM and then installed it to see if it cleanup as well as it blocks threats

Comodo gave me BSoD after i installed it on my laptop. Also i dont like the name :p it reminds me of mosquito (lol)

G

ok i didn't infect my box when i tested as i feel if the virus gets into my OS then it is to late and that my antivirus didn't do its job of blocking and keeping it off my desktop. in my opinion it is more important to block the virus before it installs on my desktop.

thanks the poorguy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS