Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
Best answers
If you're a tech noob then most likely you don't need antivirus... You are not likely to watch anyways. :D

As a side note I only use Window's own security. Much easier to deal with.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Best answers

Zemana can sue for copyright. I don't know why they haven't done it.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Best answers

I've heard about this before and I highly doubt it. I mean, MalwareFox has been around for at least a year or so? Maybe more? I've been using it for at least a few months. If it was indeed copying Zemana, then they would have been sued up to now.

My guess is that something else is going on. Perhaps a partnership? Perhaps they rely on the same engine/API? Anything among these lines? All I'm trying to say is that if MalwareFox was indeed ripping off Zemana, then they would have been sued months ago.

Dark Lord of Tech

Splendid
Aug 18, 2009
Best answers

Zemana I'm sure is letting\licensing them to use their interface and scanning engine.
Zemana has been around for a long time.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Best answers

Watchdog Anti Malware is another rebranded of Zemana Anti Malware as well.

santiano

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Best answers
I personally believe in using paid antivirus because it possesses more features as compare to free one. Many brands are providing the demo version also. You can try and choose according to the demand.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Best answers
Can anyone of ya confirm that Crunchyroll site is safe now? Because yesterday or the day before that, their site got DNS hijacked by a cyber criminal crook and managed to inject a malicious application run on their site every time a user visit it.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Best answers

No security program will ensure your safety. Paid, or free. I really can't stress this enough guys. There is no doubt that having a paid Antivirus/Anti-Malware will offer you a higher security than a free one, but don't go on believing that you can go around the web and do all sort of stupid mistakes without getting infected.

Be cautious at all times.

ohiou_grad_2006

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Best answers
Agree with the last statement. I will say that I've started using the free Windows defender that comes built into windows 10. Used to really like Avast. So far it does well though.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Best answers

Is it heavy on usage?

gn842a

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Best answers
I recently removed Kaspersky from all my devices. I realize that I am a zero priority target for the Kremlin, and that commercial spyware is if anything more aggressive, but I'm no longer comfortable with Kaspersky.

Dark Lord of Tech

Splendid
Aug 18, 2009
Best answers

Try Sophos HOME Free Edition.

gn842a

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016
Best answers
I'll keep sophos in mind. I seem to be doing OK with NOD32 (ESET). I grant you that it may not be the best. But their support is reasonably responsive. I've used ESET probably for twelve or fifteen years, with a break to try some alternative products.

Most of my issues are harddware related. Such security issues as I have are the ones you read about in the news, credit card hacks and the like.

Part of the issue is that I'm not one of these guys who lives and breathes desktops and is constantly looking for the optimal solution. In my ideal world the PC is like a washing machine, you just use it and don't think about it.

Unfortunately one DOES have to think about desktops to keep them operational, but there are so many things to think about that once I've got something that seems to work I pass on to the next subject. But it leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage, if I am successful and have a build that I don't have to think about, then I *never* think about this stuff, and I have to look at all kinds of youtube videos to refresh my memory about what to do when there is an issue.

There is a huge mass of conflicting information out there about virus software and I suspect that much of it is funded by one or another software company and it's very difficult for me to tell them apart.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jeodrech828 Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
non hacker Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
Paul Wagenseil Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
V Antivirus / Security / Privacy 3
Colif Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
Cobain.Nobur Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
Paul Wagenseil Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
SHIRO-XIV Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
D Antivirus / Security / Privacy 3
S Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0
G Antivirus / Security / Privacy 0