Docking Station for Compaq Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsyman58

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I have an HP Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop. I am looking for a docking station. I have been told by HP that they do not make a compatible docking station, but I find it hard to believe that my laptop cannot be used with any docking station. Does anyone have a suggestion for me.

gypsyman58

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

So I guess you are agreeing that there is no solution to having a single connection docking station for my laptop other than buying a new laptop?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Well, all a docking station really does is hold the notebook up and provide ports. If you got even somewhat creative with some sheet metal, I'm sure you could make one.

But, that being said, if your notebook doesn't have a docking port on it's underside, it can't support a docking station.

Though, I really don't know why you'd want one.

G

How else can I run a monitor and keyboard and mouse with the laptop close?

G

I ran into a similar problem. Here is a solution.
If your laptop is similar to mine, you have a video out port and several USBs.
Your video out port can be used to remote your monitor, and USBs for keyboard and mouse. Since my laptop only had 2 USB ports, I had to purchase a USB divider to accommodate my printer, keyboard and mouse. Agreed, it is not as visually aesthetic as having a docking station, but with creative wiring it can be done. To keep your laptop from shutting down when the lid is closed, there is a setting under the power saver options in your display settings.
Here is a link that will show you how to make the correct settings.

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_keep_my_laptop_running_with_the_lid_closed.html

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.