Does 7.1 matter for footsteps in games?

Kawdam91

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hi,

I have been searching for a new headset over my corsair vengeance 1500s and have narrowed it down to the hyper cloud II with surround or a sennheiser gsp 300.

I am basically stuck at does the fact the gsp 300 has no surround sound matter, my motherboard supports 7.1 outputs, I am worried I won't be able to pinpoint other players locations wether they are above or below me etc.

I personally think the hyper cloud II look disgusting but can't argue with the reviews and bang for buck, I love the sennheisers just wish they had cloth ear cups, it's just the fact it has no advertised surround sound support and would this be a problem?

PS I only game and watch things.

Solution
no, your nitpicking now, you are talking about extremely small differences. theres no 'worse' or 'better' in these headphones. only skilled pros and audiophiles could tell the diffference. you are taliking about gaming and not movies that support certain types of surround....[dolby and surround 7.1] there is a difference.

true fps pros only use 2.0 stereo sound on their heaphones. left and right footsteps.

cloud II has a great warrenty and afterservice. and construction. one peice of steel with the cans screwed to the 'forks'.

comfort is subjective and up to you. :)

Kawdam91

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Thanks for the reply, most people i know own them and really like them for the money i tried a pair on today but i think they was named alpha saw the cloud 2s boxed underneath but none out on show they looked exactly same though, the headband was very bent and out of shape which put me off a bit ( it was a store demo set so it's had some abuse)

The only thing i'm concerned about is will the GSP300's be worse in games due to the lack of dolby digital surround support and similar things like it which i noticed are coming on dongles these days like the hyper cloud 2s and GSP 350s etc.

ARICH5

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
no, your nitpicking now, you are talking about extremely small differences. theres no 'worse' or 'better' in these headphones. only skilled pros and audiophiles could tell the diffference. you are taliking about gaming and not movies that support certain types of surround....[dolby and surround 7.1] there is a difference.

true fps pros only use 2.0 stereo sound on their heaphones. left and right footsteps.

cloud II has a great warrenty and afterservice. and construction. one peice of steel with the cans screwed to the 'forks'.

comfort is subjective and up to you. :)

Solution

Isokolon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
The gsp300 will probably be fine.

I recently switched from an analogue 5.1 to a Sennheiser HD569 stereo and I find it easier to exactly pinpoint the locations. Overall sound is better as well (due to the fact that it uses bigger drivers and..well... Sennheiser)

To me 5.1/7.1 is a tad irritating in certain situation (especially in counter strike) but I know people who love it as well.

I reckon you'll be fine with either choice, I'd go for the cheapest in this regard.

Kawdam91

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Thanks, i think i will go for the gsp300, price is not a problem at this range, the red C2s are 60 atm which is a great deal the gunmetal are 75, gsp 300 are 79.99 and the red 350s with the dolby surround software and dongle are 99.99 but to be honest i am spending more purely based on cosmetics as i hate the colour red as ARICH5 stated i can be quite nit-picky especially if i am not very educated on a particular subject in this case audio.

I think the surround software and uses would have to be 100 percent worth getting or good enough to the point of physically giving highly noticeable advantages in games over the 300s which it sounds like it doesn't.