Solved! Does anyone know of a 5 disc dvd player being made now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2018
My old sony system died recently and I cannot seem to find a 5 disc dvd player now. Seems somebody would still be making them? Either as a home theatre or just the player, I could run thru a receiver. Thanks.

Solution
I don't think anyone makes one anymore and hasn't for quite some time.
They expected that the 5 disc feature would be used for CDs and you would load a DVD when you wanted to play one. That's why they still make some low end CD changers but not DVD/CD changers.
CD/DVD jukebox players made more sense since they could store an entire CD/DVD collection.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Quite a few 6-disc changers out there, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. But the more popular ones are those with carousels that hold hundreds.

I think most people have moved to on demand web-based music. And there will still be people with the large MP3 collections for a good while.

I don't think anyone makes one anymore and hasn't for quite some time.
They expected that the 5 disc feature would be used for CDs and you would load a DVD when you wanted to play one. That's why they still make some low end CD changers but not DVD/CD changers.
CD/DVD jukebox players made more sense since they could store an entire CD/DVD collection.

Solution
Nov 28, 2018

I think you are correct; I've extensively searched and haven't found anything new. Fortunately there are plenty of used units still available; was able to find the receiver for my sony surround, and I wanted a carousel unit for my bedroom as I like to listen to audiobook lectures (like from the great courses series) figured might as well get a smaller multi-disc system then it can double to play the audiobook cds in my bedroom and also serve as a backup unit if my living room system goes out again while I hunt for a replacement. Funny, the bedroom unit is sony's old 5 disc dream machine that was $1,000 when it came out and I got one for $50.
I can understand now why they've stopped making them, but at least they were made well enough that reliable replacements are available. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.