Does anyone know what happened to the Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series?

AboutTheSame

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
I placed an order; it got delayed; then it got canceled; and the only response I got from customer "support" was that the order did not "push out" (whatever the heck that means). I wasted an hour on the phone this morning being bumped from this extension to that extension (none of whom knew anything) and finally gave up. It's not an option on the website anymore (although the 5000 series is still there), and I don't know whether to hope it will reappear or go bigger/smaller. Or maybe go over the dark side and get an Airbook.

I guess it is being replaced since Intel is releasing the Broadwell generation Core CPUs. The extremely low power Core M Y-series CPUs have recently been released in some products like the Lenovo Yoga 3. The laptops using U-series Broadwell CPUs will probably show up in limited quantities next month, and will be more readily available in Q1 2015.

So... I am assuming Dell will be selling a successor to the Inspiron 14 7000 next month or early next year.

AboutTheSame

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
jaguarskx: That may be a possibility, but (1) I would think it unusual/shortsighted for a company to drop a product that had some great early reviews before the replacement was ready to go, (2) Dell is still selling the 5000 series that the 7000 was presumably meant to replace, and (3) the same processor (as far as I can tell) is being used in the Inspiron 7000 15" and 17" models. In fact, it's being offered in the top end of the 5000 series. About the only difference I can see between that 5000 model and the 7000 series is the screen, so I'm now guessing that supply or defects or something cropped up in that area.