Does input amperage matter for laptop chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Input, output, doesn't really matter as long as you are comparing same side thing on both chargers.
Simple reason for that is that in practice, power in=power out (or pretty close)

Since you need charger of certain voltage for the laptop to work, your output voltage is set.
If you use charger with less than specified Current rating (Amps) you end up with less than specified power to laptop.
If that happens, one of the following might happen:
-Laptop doesn't get enough power and either cannot charge itself while in use or.. refuses to charge at all
-Charger takes in more than it's rated for (old one was 2A, new you were looking at was 1A) and will heat up considerably, causing a fire hazard
-Charger will simply combust and not work.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Input, output, doesn't really matter as long as you are comparing same side thing on both chargers.
Simple reason for that is that in practice, power in=power out (or pretty close)

Since you need charger of certain voltage for the laptop to work, your output voltage is set.
If you use charger with less than specified Current rating (Amps) you end up with less than specified power to laptop.
If that happens, one of the following might happen:
-Laptop doesn't get enough power and either cannot charge itself while in use or.. refuses to charge at all
-Charger takes in more than it's rated for (old one was 2A, new you were looking at was 1A) and will heat up considerably, causing a fire hazard
-Charger will simply combust and not work.

Solution

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Correct.

mrohulf99

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
can i ask question too??

If i bought the adapter lower ampere value then the old one i got, so my charger sometimes cant charging (its true).

is there any way to set the input ampere to laptop, via software ? example intel exterme utility ???

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Replying to old threads is somewhat frowned upon, but... ah well.
No, laptops pretty much expect to receive certain voltage and amperage from their charger. You cannot really set the input by software.

In theory, IF you downclock the cpu and GPU a lot, they will not use their maximum power and at that point will draw less power. The problem with this approach is that the first part inside laptop, the battery charger, STILL expects to get X watts of power and will pretty much use all that the other components wont use of that to charge the battery.
So.. no, you shouldn't really use chargers rated for less than the original ones.

As I noted above, few bad things can happen from prolonged use.

Status
Not open for further replies.