Does or has anyone used GIMP? Mine takes 2-3 mintues to load even though i have it on a 960 EVO M.2.

Ferrariassassin

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
My read speed is 2,000MB/s and Write is 1,700MB/s from when i tested it yet GIMP takes forever to load but its the ONLY program that takes long to load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it over 20 times and it does nothing. I use GIMP daily and also Photoshop but GIMP is so annoying where it takes so long and once it is loaded it runs fine. Can someone please help?

Solution
This seems to be mostly a Windows-specific problem. It takes an awfully long time to process the font cache at startup, but this should only happen periodically. I don't recall ever having this issue on Linux, though perhaps I just had far fewer fonts.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I just tried it.
Very first time opening it after a full OS reinstall, and GIMP install.

30 seconds. Registering fonts and plugins, etc.
Subsequent openings is a normal application open of 3-5 secs.

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB drive.

You mention you use it daily...when did it start doing this?

randomizer

Distinguished
This seems to be mostly a Windows-specific problem. It takes an awfully long time to process the font cache at startup, but this should only happen periodically. I don't recall ever having this issue on Linux, though perhaps I just had far fewer fonts.

Solution

Ferrariassassin

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014

Ever since i replaced my old 850 EVO with my new 960 EVO it has been so slow. I have a fresh install of W10 also. I deleted GIMP and reinstalled it but i put the program on my old and slow WD Black HDD and now GIMP runs faster and takes 20-23 seconds to load up and just takes 40 seconds to close after exiting it so it is a lot faster. But whyyyyy faster on a slower drive?

Ferrariassassin

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014

Yes when i go to Gimp it just loads Fonts foreeeeever and thats it. Is there a way to delete fonts where it wont need to load them? I never use them.

USAFRet

Illustrious

After the first run after and install, subsequent uses should take no more than a very few seconds.
I just tried mine again (4 days later), and it was about 4 secs from click to open.

GIMP uses the same fonts as all the other applications on your system.
Any other application slow to open?