does removing battery and holding power for 60 seconds do a factory reset?

Solution

First and foremost watch the language, we are here to help and language like this will get you no where but ban from the forums.

second you were the one that asked if it would mess with your data and now you have the answer.

third if your battery is only lasting 20-30 mins the battery is dying and will soon not be usable. It will need a replacement if you want to be mobile.

FYI if you are planing on using your laptop at the house near an outlet remove your battery when plugged in. they have a tendency to over charge the battery and...

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
just removing the battery for 15 seconds is enough for the bios to be reset. many motherboards that don't have a bios reset button have a jumper that if moved to the other pin will reset the bios also.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Lol! Removing a battery on what?

You need to be more specific.

But as far as I know removing the battery doesn't do a factory reset on any device.

Edit: I stand corrected, removing CMOS battery on a motherboard will reset BIOS to default. But that's the only example I can think of. I wasn't sure if you were talking about a laptop battery or something else.

ctrl alt del

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
no, remove the battery FIRST, THEN hold power for 60 seconds, and THEN put it back in. computer:6yr old hp pavilion dv9617nr. will it really reset it and earse all my data or just the bios?

ctrl alt del

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
excuse me if this sounds dumb, but how do i remove the cmos battery? who was the dumbfuck who said that it will wipe ur HDD?

and my battery lasts 20-30 min, but its plugged in constantly now.

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

First and foremost watch the language, we are here to help and language like this will get you no where but ban from the forums.

second you were the one that asked if it would mess with your data and now you have the answer.

third if your battery is only lasting 20-30 mins the battery is dying and will soon not be usable. It will need a replacement if you want to be mobile.

FYI if you are planing on using your laptop at the house near an outlet remove your battery when plugged in. they have a tendency to over charge the battery and kill its life. Only leave the laptop charging if the battery needs it. Other ways if you are going to be plugged in remove the battery and you will be fine.

forth to remove the CMOS battery you will need access to the motherboard which will require you taring down the laptop. If you're unaware of this it should be sent out for repairs.

Solution

It's not dumb to ask how to remove the CMOS battery, but you are the one who said that it will wipe your HDD.
From your thread you don't said what is your problem with your laptop or why you asked for a factory reset.
Be more specific with your question and you will have the answer you are looking for.

simba6413

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Getting any glitches out of your computer before you take it to a shop, you can take the battery out of your laptop and NO, I am not talking about the CMOS battery. Factory reset is something you would have to find on the start menu and follow my directions, but that is another computer course altogether. I am going to guide you through a simple step and see if it works, if not respond to my post?
First.. unplug your laptop
then... close the lid on your laptop
then...you should see a big battery on the back side of your laptop? Do you see it? Good.
then... pull the big battery out they are usually fairly large and hard to miss, they usually have a release button to take the big battery out.
then....once the battery is out hold down the power button for a minute. Yes I know it sounds stupid but just try it, it sometimes works.
then....let your laptop sit for a minute and put the big battery back in your laptop.
then...try to power it on, hopefully it will work for you? If not it is something else.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

Do you realize you replied to a thread that is more than 6 months old? And it was already resolved since a solution has been selected by the OP.

In any case, you are wrong. Removing the CMOS battery doesn't only reset date and time, but also and more importantly it resets all BIOS settings to default.

Arman_111

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
Hi, i was going to restore to factory reset my laptop. For a while it was stuck at 66% so i took out my battery and plugged it back. Now the laptop start and shuts down autommaticly. I don't know what's happending and i also do not have so much knowledge about laptop. Can someone help me or tell me what the promblem is? Please?

Arman_111

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015
Hi, i was going to restore to factory reset my laptop. For a while it was stuck at 66% so i took out my battery and plugged it back. Now the laptop start and shuts down autommaticly. I don't know what's happending and i also do not have so much knowledge about laptop. Can someone help me or tell me what the promblem is? Please?