Does the lid affect cooling performance?

Viharlovag

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hello everyone!

This might sound a bit silly but I'm curious if the notebook lid affects cooling whatsoever. Does the notebook get more heated up if it's closed down and used with and external monitor?

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
due to nature of physics, yes.

CPU/GPU generate heat, most of this is exhausted out usually from the side.
Some of the heat rises up and through the keyboard.
You block the exhaust route through keyboard with laptop lid, yes.. it will increase the temperature within.

by how much? depends on laptop type/brand/component layout/cooler, there is no real statistical data on this.
My bet would be 5 to 10 degrees C at most.

Viharlovag

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

And does the panel get damaged by heat or something? Should I just leave it open with a small gap?

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Don't forget, though, that 99% of the time shutting the lid on the laptop will automatically put it into Sleep or Hibernate modes, both of which draw a lot less power. So any potential increase in temperature from restricting its ability to cool off through the keyboard is offset by the lower need for cooling when closed up.

Viharlovag

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I turned that mode off since I'm using it as a desktop basically. I know a desktop would have been cheaper but I'll need the portability of a notebook so that's why I chose this instead.

And should I buy a notebook cooler even if it's a brand new machine? I mean to put less stress on the fans or something.

Viharlovag

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

This notebook I'm using wents on the left corner like most notebooks would and on the bottom it has a section in the middle which has holes and I can see the copper heatpipe there.

I'm not sure however if I should get a cooler that blows in there or one that cools the plastic over the sides?

normally the laptop set up that way draw air from bottom and eject by fans pushing out to the sides, so I would suggest a set up with fan that push air upwards into the bottom of your laptop to increase the amount of cold air being pushed into the pathways and coolers

here is a link to an interesting article with some fancy setups for laptop and maybe give you a better idea than your local computer store may have on hand https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers