Does the Toshiba recovery wizard delete hidden recovery partitions?

jonnycat

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Hello all, I have a Toshiba Satellite L675.

In the recovery wizard, there is an option for "Erasing the internal hard drive". According to the user manual, I am given the following warning: "Erasing the internal storage drive will delete all data on the drive, including the partitions",

Will this recovery wizard option actually delete the two hidden recovery partitions (sda1 and sda3), wiping the entire hard drive, or just the user-created partitions (sda2, AKA C: and any other user-created partitions)?

Thanks for clarification on this.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The recovery wizard should do what it needs to do to return the computer to how it was when it came from the factory. Are you booting to the wizard using a disk or are you getting to it by pushing a key during boot?

jonnycat

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Hi BadAsAl, this is being accessed through pressing "0" during the boot process. While there are a number of different options given in the recovery wizard (including returning the computer to it's initial state), my query concerns the option of "Erasing the internal hard drive".

Thanks!

wotsit82

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Wondered this myself - the wording is pretty unclear for a critical situation. Whilst it says it will restore it to the out-of-the-box state it also says all partitions will be formatted - leaving you wondering if the recovery partitions will be wiped, never to return.

I went ahead and did it anyway and can report the recovery partitions still seem to be there safe and sound. :)