Ben Lumsden

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello Tom's Guide Community!

The scenario is, my computer became prone to a number or crashed including 'Memory_Management', 'System_Service_Exception', 'System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled', 'IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal', 'Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area' and 0xc000021a.
I was then told by the MSI support desk (manufacturer of my gaming laptop) to do a factory reset. However, in doing this it crashed so I can no longer log on or do another reset as there is a missing drive partition.
I am still under warranty, but MSI only repair products for free if it is a hardware problem. The issue here is, my problem seems to be both hardware and software but the software part was under the influence of MSI? If I am not mistaken.

My question is, will I still be under warranty and get a free repair? Or will I still have to pay?

Thanks!

Solution
1) run Memtest86 for a full pass (or until an error) www.memtest86.com

a) that tests the system memory (DDR3/4) sticks on the motherboard which can cause issues similar to what you've described
b) will need to change the BIOS boot order on the DVD or USB thumb stick you use to create Memtest86

2) If that passes you can make a LINUX boot disc (Linux Mint or similar) then boot, but do NOT install to that disc. This is to prove your HARDWARE. You could use Firefox and other programs to see if it runs okay.

If it DOES then this suggests:
a) software is corrupted in your Windows installation, or
b) the HDD or SSD that Windows is on is damaged.

3) I don't know about MSI's policies, but start troubleshooting and go from there.

(It's not...
1) run Memtest86 for a full pass (or until an error) www.memtest86.com

a) that tests the system memory (DDR3/4) sticks on the motherboard which can cause issues similar to what you've described
b) will need to change the BIOS boot order on the DVD or USB thumb stick you use to create Memtest86

2) If that passes you can make a LINUX boot disc (Linux Mint or similar) then boot, but do NOT install to that disc. This is to prove your HARDWARE. You could use Firefox and other programs to see if it runs okay.

If it DOES then this suggests:
a) software is corrupted in your Windows installation, or
b) the HDD or SSD that Windows is on is damaged.

3) I don't know about MSI's policies, but start troubleshooting and go from there.

(It's not both software and hardware. There's an underlying issue that is one or the other. Memory issues often appear software related though since defective memory can corrupt software)

Solution
Update:
The Factory Reset doesn't tell me much.

I assume that's a BACKUP IMAGE on the main HDD/SSD which is then restored to overwrite the Windows installation. Since it crashed everything it could be a damaged HDD/SSD, corrupted software on that drive, memory sticks, power supply, motherboard etc.

So again, if you run from Memtest86 or Linux those are both Operating Systems which run instead of Windows. Memtest86 is just testing the memory sticks though that proves much of the other hardware as well.

Linux is a better replacement for Windows though it doesn't do as good a job of validating the system memory.

Good luck!

I may not answer right away. You can also PM me if you wish and I'll try to respond but I have an illness so am not always available.

I agree it's likely a Warranty scenario, though sending the unit back is a big hassle.

I'm not sure if he can open up the side of the case, however if he follows my advice and runs memtest86 and boots to a Linux CD/DVD he should have a clearer idea.

For example, if he contacts MSI and says Memtest86 indicates bad memory they may just send him some memory sticks or provide better advice.

*on that note, if Memtest86 shows an issue, AND you can open the case without voiding the Warranty then you can try testing each stick one at a time. If one stick works then you can run the system so again MSI may just offer to send some new memory sticks and have you send the other back.