'A' an 'D' keys sometimes don't work - MSI GE62VR 6RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMustang

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
Hey all,

Recently I've been having this weird problem where the 'A' and 'D' keys sometimes don't register. It's incredibly random and I cannot find any patterns whatsoever. The only pattern I could find is that it always works if I press rather hard on the keys. Sometimes they work completely fine for 30 minutes and then they start not registering keypresses.

The only pattern I could notice is that the issue occurs less if I continiously press the same button. The issue occurs the most during regular typing.

Things I've tried:
- Removing the keycaps and cleaning underneath. However, underneath the keycaps is a simple rubber cup that I cannot reach under, since it's glued onto the keyboard.
- Booting in safemode. The issue didn't occur in safemode, but I'm seriously doubting that it's a software issue, because:
- I removed any and all keyboard drivers, which left my keyboard not functioning for a while. I rebooted and the default Windows keyboard driver was used. It still had the very same problem after a while.

At this point I'm really clueless what to do. I don't really want to RMA the laptop since it's my only workstation, and I'm not sure if I still have warranty. According to MSI I don't, since their warranty lasts only for a year. According to EU laws I should have warranty, since the minimal warranty is 2 years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Do you game a lot? it's notable to me that those are the left and right motion keys for a lot of games.
Just raises the suspicion that they may simply be a little worn out.

Depending on the laptop design the keyboard can normally be replaced without too much drama, the little ribbon cable connector can be a bit delicate and easy to break but generally the biggest issue is getting the laptop apart and you can usually find a good video for that on youtube - at least for a lot of models you can. Or you could pay someone to replace it.

I'm just guessing of course. I've only replaced one laptop keyboard and that had clearly had coffee spilled on it and had groups of keys that didn't work. A bit of searching on ebay for a replacement and a youtube video to show me how to dismantle the laptop and it was cheaply fixed.

Be warned though, there is definitely some risk involved in pulling your laptop apart. I only did it because it was a cheap old laptop I was given so there wasn't anything to lose.

LordMustang

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015

Well, I've never spilled anything on it. I game quite a bit, but nothing extreme. I always treat the keyboard with care, I don't smash the buttons.

Also, a weird part is the intermittency of the issue. Sometimes the keys work completely fine, and the other time I need to press them a few times or wait a bit and press them again to make them work. I'm thinking that it could be a circuit error in the keyboard, but even that seems strange given that I've never even come close to this circuit board. The other option might be that the connection cable is loose, but neither did I ever touch this or the motherboard.

I'm absolutely clueless. I've looked up guides on replacing the keyboard myself, but this seem to be a pain since it appears to be put in place by thermo-fasteners, as can be seen here https://youtu.be/anbztjMhYUw?t=260

Status
Not open for further replies.