Don't know which laptop to pick (School + gaming)

gamertanish

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Hello

I'm going into grade 10 this year and I've been browsing for cheap laptops on the internet. I found 2 that I'm very interested in buying but not sure which ones more better. I'm going to do my school work on it and plus a bit of gaming (I only play fortnite) and a bit of after effects. Here are the 2 laptops are can't chose from.

Microsoft Surface Pro 2
CPU: i5 (doesn't specify )
RAM: 8gb
STORAGE: 128gb ssd

Dell Latitude E6230
CPU: Intel i7-3520M 3rd Generation CPU @ 2.90GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 RAM"
STORAGE: 500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
GRAPHICS: Intel HD Graphics 4000

I'm not sure which one is better for doing schoolwork, editing (Adobe after effects) and gaming (fortnite) I would appreciate it if someone can help me.

remixislandmusic

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Likely neither can game well or do much editing. If i had to pick from those 2 i would picknthe surface because of its snappy ssd. Can you link the laptops? Likely the surface is a dual core with ht. The 2nd laptops i7 is also a dual core with ht. Not great for gaming or editing. The graphics wouldnt cut it.

gamertanish

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

Well my parents bought me a expensive laptop then it got stolen at school, so they want me to get a laptop for $300 and less. I found the two laptops on Gumtree in good condition.

remixislandmusic

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Gumtree... Are you Austrailan? I dont know of any laptop that can do much editing or fortnite for 300aud. Here is a $450 usd laptop with a lower end 7th gen I5 and a mx150 gpu. It can run full hd fortnite with a mix of low and medium settings. maybe you coulr find it used?https://flash.newegg.com/Product/1TS-000X-00UY3?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-Mobile-_-pla-_-Laptops+%2f+Notebooks-_-1TS-000X-00UY3&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAsoviBRAoEiwATm8OYEkvr7nMpkAUjQw8P_kmC3EKJ6BOJzm_2vKdsMMItE6PGrgNtWB8iBoC1PUQAvD_BwE

gamertanish

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

Thank you I'll see if I'm able to get it and yes I'm Australian.

gamertanish

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gamertanish : "Is this the perfect laptop for school + gaming? Need help picking."

Yes, I was looking at some laptops with Nvidia in it and some were cheap and some were expensive, the cheap ones had really old Nvidia cards so I doubt I'd make a difference.

geofelt

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gamertanish : "Is Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon perfect for school + gaming?"

Love the x1 carbon for portability.
There have been 6 generations of them, each getting a bit better.

None will have a discrete graphics card which is what you want for any sort of fast action games.
The latest 6th gen had UHD 620 graphics.

Your option #1 is likely the superior unit based on the HD 5500 graphics and a passmark rating of 589.
fwiw, the latest 6th gen version UHD620 graphics is about twice as strong.
The gt1030 desktop graphics card has a rating of some 3000, and is considered as the entry level for gaming.

Best to use the laptop for anything except gaming.

Sep 6, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tannudagamer10 : "Is this a good laptop to buy for school + gaming"

ok, but will this be good for editing like it has 12 gb ram, i7 and a ssd it should handle it right?