'Don't Take Nude Selfies' Is Not Good Security Advice (Op-Ed)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Brian,

I wasn't going to comment, but your post is appalling IMO.

"...you DO deserve to be hacked."

Please think for just a moment what the logical extension of that means.
Read Nossy's comment (3rd sentence) and how it then relates to what
you've said. It's rare that a post disgusts me, but your's did.

What you're talking about is practicality of prevention and common sense,
but that's utterly separate from who is to blame for a criminal act.

Ian.

Smail Buzzby

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
Nobody with any knowledge about technology would suggest to you that putting stuff in the cloud is secure. You sidestep the entire real problem to rail about some people pointing out the very obvious reality here - if you don't take pictures of yourself nude then no one can steal those pictures. This is a crime, but it is nothing like a bank robbery.
If you must take stupid, childish pictures of yourself naked DO NOT share them or upload them to anywhere. Your 'right' to privacy on the web is a very uncertain thing.

prospero710

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I'm only 30, but I've worked with computers since 1990. I love the power of the machine, but it brought a loneliness at times which still exists today for many people. Nothing is safe, encryption only works as long as someone can't access the source information. I saw someone crack 256 bit encryption in minutes because he recognized the encryption technology. Unless you are a genius, nothing is safe on a computer. NOTHING. So before you decide to get naked and finger your snatch, or yank your dank, think about how many more people are smarter than the low budget security teams that try to stop lonely intelligent hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.