Doom Returns to its Hellish Roots at Quakecon 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
Oh, ffs. "Doom 4" was a perfectly good title. Will companies stop doing this "reboot a game with the exact same title" nonsense?

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
PLEASE tell me this isn't going to be for PS3/360. Every time a game gets released for last-gen as well as next-gen it never looks or plays as good as the next-gen exclusive games - PC included. I'll definitely be getting this on PC, but it would be nice to know that it's going to look like a proper PC title.

Red_Sun

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
PLEASE tell me this isn't going to be for PS3/360. Every time a game gets released for last-gen as well as next-gen it never looks or plays as good as the next-gen exclusive games - PC included. I'll definitely be getting this on PC, but it would be nice to know that it's going to look like a proper PC title.
Finishing moves and double jumps? Maybe we'll see a guest appearance by Johnny Cage? Hope it's not watered-down console tripe. And if it is, they won't see a dime from me.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
idtech6? Can't wait to see that. But considering that idtech5 wasn't used in many games to begin with, I wonder if idtech6 could more likely be idtech5.5. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I don't believe that this DOOM will lack any serious back-end code from Carmack though. just because he left might have been him wanting to directly tie the code for this game and the Rift from the very very core to the end, and Zenimax tards won't let him do his thing. they said "NO" when he was running id, now they're trying to dismantle him on the OTHER side by suing Oculus. having a master programmer working both sides of the coin sounds ideal to me, doesn't it?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Wow, 10 years since the last Doom. Another example of time flying by! Anyways been a fan of Doom and even stomached the movie. I am not too worried about Carmack being gone since he has no idea how to make a good story line since the original Doom but even then it was thin.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

The sad part is that PC is beyond next gen, its third gen if you call the newest consoles second gen. PC is always ahead but rarely gets the lazy software developers to use the latest amazing hardware.

Reason - The consoles always lack behind and why work extra when the lower console level is accepted as the standard - That is the sad part. That is why games like Crysis still beat most new games in gfx despite its age because it took advantage of the best hardware that was available at the time.

Doom have been a PC game that have pushed the hardware borders, hope Bethesda honor that tradition.

Sure you can game at 4k or 1600p on PC if you want and sure it runs smother but the software devs rarely adds more effects / depth in the gfx than they could... all because of the consoles keeping the development back...

Console kiddos - Go ahead and vote down as much as you want, it just proves how eye shut some are to the truth!

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
it will never, ever, EVER come close to the original again. Probably ONE endboss, (the one in the trailer) and that's it. Doom 3 made the mistake of being a "one path" game. You could only go where the game allowed you to go. Doom 1 had free movement. You had to search all over the level for stuff and solutions. Also, at the time, this was groundbreaking gameplay, now, it's just another shooter, with a big name. If you want to really reinvent doom, bring it to next gen, occulus... oh wait... the irony.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

On good thing about Bethesda in general and id specifically is that they've built PC titles first and console titles second (Skyrim anyone?). That being said given the direction of idTech and the way Wolfenstein runs I would definitely say those of us with PCs have a leg up on the console world. Let's just hope the game lives up to the hype.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"and it's going to be brutal".

sounds more like it's going to be a rip-off of brutal-doom: doom-1 + finishing moves, extra gore, jumping ...

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Considering that in the past 5 years I saw only a handfull of games worth my cash, Ill wait and see on this one just as I have done over the last two years.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Pray how do you enact a finishing move when you use guns in Doom? The fist is a backup and the chainsaw is only useful against certain enemies.

And double-jumping is for cartoon platformers - I'm not saying Doom is remotely base in realism, but pray how does a "normal" person jump some extra height by kicking off of thin air?

Sounds like a bunch of fail already. You would've thought with the departure of that talentless hack Carmack id could get back to making games instead of glorified tech demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.