2070 Super: Games Crashing to Desktop/Flickering Screen

Sep 7, 2021
Hello, I have a MSI 2070 super and I’ve run into a lot of issues with it recently. Every time I try to load a game I get an error and it crashes back to the desktop. The error I’ve been seeing with Apex Legends is “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” I also got an error with Halo: MCC which did the same thing but I can’t recall what the error code was. I launched Doom Eternal and when on the load screen I noticed that the screen had these fuzzy white lights moving all around in the background. As I selected to “start” to proceed to the main menu, it froze and I couldn’t get out of the game, so I had to restart my PC. These were the only games I had tested. I was on the phone with MSI’s customer support for over an hour troubleshooting and the agent had me run a benchmark, but it couldn’t run for more than a second before the program crashed, or if the program did start, it froze. On top of games not working, the screen is flickering when I go to left click on commands or start a download on a game. I installed the drivers and uninstalled (using DDU) them multiple times to see if that would fix it but nothing changed. I also did a fresh install of windows but still all the same errors/flickering. I originally RMA’d because of the fans working at 100% on idle and no post. That issue has gone away, but now more have arrived. I am also using an ASUS Phoenix 1650 for the time being, but i haven’t had any issues while using it. If anyone can be of help I’d greatly appreciate it, it’s been very frustrating. Thank you very much.

Build is a little over a year old.

Specs:

I7 10700k

16gb DDR4 3600 G.Skill Trident Z

EVGA 850 W Gold+ PSU

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi

MSI 2070 Super