DoS Attack Rains on Texas Gov Internet Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Many software companies blame security problems caused by their faulty engineering on "those bad hackers" so why should the politicians be any different with IT problems? Now they just need to award a million-dollar "security improvement contract" to one of their favorite constituents.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Many software companies blame security problems caused by their faulty engineering on "those bad hackers" so why should the politicians be any different with IT problems?[/citation]

because the hackers are attacking a public convention. anyway it is increadably difficult to protect a public site from attacks. if the security protocals are to tough, no one will visit the site.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Technically, it was a DDoS or Distributed Denial of Service attack. A standard DoS attack is almost completely ineffective anymore as most service providers will automatically block such an attack, not to mention that all commercial firewalls (and even some routers) will automatically block a DoS attack. Interestingly enough, a DoS attack is still useful for something. WIPS systems (Wireless Intrusion Prevention Systems) use a sort of DoS attack as a countermeasure to neutralize rogue APs (wireless Access Points not installed or authorized by the organization who owns or controls the network) by spamming the rogue AP with a signal that forces it to perpetually re-authenticate.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Technically, it was a DDoS or Distributed Denial of Service attack.citation]You just taught me something. I had always thought of DDoS as being "dedicated" vs "distributed." I'm not sure how I got that one mixed up.

As for the politicians, do we really expect them to know wtf is going on with the interwebs? They hardly have a grasp on reality as it is. If it doesn't have anything to do with their private jet or their lobbyist kickbacks, then they're just going by the numbers in the "say this if you do something stupid" playbook.

PS: Tom's needs some new pictures to associate with its articles. I think I've seen that Dr. Evil image in 25 different articles now, none of which were related to "Scott", "Dr. Evil", or "the question mark."

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
The argument that it was DDoS seems suspect to begin with, I mean who would really care enough to bother...I mean that guy is small potatoes.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]The argument that it was DDoS seems suspect to begin with, I mean who would really care enough to bother...I mean that guy is small potatoes.[/citation]
DDoS does not imply a massive attack by a highly coordinated and sophisticated attacker. A script kiddie is capable of pulling off a DDoS using a handful of zombies. Watch the news for a few days, we'll find out how good the attacker was by whether or not they are identified.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I doubt that this is a DDos attack. Sounds like their old servers couldn't handle the traffic. Time to ditch the P3 boys.

Who would really launch this type of attack against a governor that nobody cares about.

Most politicans don't know a thing about the internets.

Sounds like this guy is trying to get some press.

G

I think that there are plenty of people with the time to go ahead and hack a Texas Governor's site. DDoS attacks have been hard to stop but there is a new software that prevents these attacks called XyberShield, www.xybershield.com. I would check out their site for more information on what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.