Solved! Double audio from cable program and TV apps

lyledelp4

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I have a new LG B7 and a Marantz 5012 receiver. I also have an audio problem. The cable box is connected to the receiver by HDMI. The receiver is connected to the TV by the ARC enabled HDMI ports. When I switch to an app on the TV, the sound from the app plays, but the sound from the cable TV does not go off. I assume the receiver is playing the sound from both the box and the TV, but I can't figure how to get rid of the sound from the box! Probably some simple setting I am missing, but I feel like I have tried everything and that this is a basic set-up. Help!

Solution
To be clear when you select your apps on the TV you get sound from the app on your TV speakers and since the receiver is set to the input your cable box is connected to you are getting the cable box audio?
Have you turned the TV speakers off? You need to do that and turn ARC on in the TV menu.
Have you setup the receiver input menu? That will let you select which connection is assigned to which input and label it accordingly. I believe you can assign the ARC to the "TV Audio" input. Assign the HDMI input that you connected the cable box to the CBL/SAT input.
To be clear when you select your apps on the TV you get sound from the app on your TV speakers and since the receiver is set to the input your cable box is connected to you are getting the cable box audio?
Have you turned the TV speakers off? You need to do that and turn ARC on in the TV menu.
Have you setup the receiver input menu? That will let you select which connection is assigned to which input and label it accordingly. I believe you can assign the ARC to the "TV Audio" input. Assign the HDMI input that you connected the cable box to the CBL/SAT input.

Solution

lyledelp4

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

lyledelp4

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Sorry, the computer decided to send on its own. Thank you, I haven't tried that configuration. i was hoping to find a way that I could pick an app on the TV remote and not have to switch the device on the AVR.

There is no ARC setting on the input select, just HDMI 1-6. I am going to try using an optical cable and switch the AVR to "TV audio" each time, but it seems like the purpose of ARC is defeated if the audio from the cable box does not go off when one plays apps. I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks for your help