DPC Watchdog Error

Justin_126

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
All of a sudden after 18 months of flawless performance my Spectre X360 is having issues which at first thought appeared to be CPU related, however following a change of CPU and GPU via HP free of charge, the issue still persists which I am unable to resolve no matter what I try.

There appears to be two strands to this problem, whether they are connected to each other I have no idea, but they both started around the same time, but they don't always happen in tandem with each other.

The first is the drop off of CPU frequency, the drop off of temperature and the rising CPU load because of the former which makes the machine pretty sluggish until it eventually comes grinding to almost a halt.

For example my Core I5 5200u under load will hit 2.7ghz turboboost and a temp of about 60C and a CPU load of maybe 80% and when idle it'll be 2ghz with a temp of around 55C and CPU load about 20%. Nothing wrong with that and the CPU is manging loads properly/.

However slowly over the course of an hour or so, the frequency of the CPU gradually drops under the same load, first to 1.8ghz, then 1.6ghz, 1.4ghz before slowly coming to a rest at about 1.1ghz and not going above it. to which performance becomes VERY sluggish and CPU is running at 100% load but temps are under 40C. This is weird. The CPU clearly needs more clock speed and doesn't have a problem with heat yet is being starved and starved of the power it needs

This happens about 50% of the time. What normally happens is the system keeps freezing intermittently and the only way to recover performance is to restart it and the same pattern plays out with high performance following a reboot that slowly drops off. Sometimes I am lucky and when I reboot the performance will hold for a few days.

However the biggest issue is now even when performance does hold and clock speed does hold, I am starting to get random blue screens from nowhere without any slowdown or warning they will happen. The mouse cursor freezes and everything stops responding and eventually I get a blue screen saying I have a Watchdog Violation.

I am unable to resolve this issue no matter what I do and the CPU and GPU have already been replaced. Any ideas? All drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Solution
Lets start with the DPC bluescreen.

Have you upgraded the Firmware for your SSD Drive?

Unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version and hardware incompatibility issues, or corrupted system files are the usual causes of that error.

Lets start with the DPC bluescreen.

Have you upgraded the Firmware for your SSD Drive?

Unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version and hardware incompatibility issues, or corrupted system files are the usual causes of that error.

Solution