Droid X Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
So I have had a Droid X now for ~16 months and am getting some weird connection problems as of lately. Essentially what is happening is my phone is ignoring calls, instant messages, voice mail, and about everything else that would alert me that someone is trying to get a hold of me from when i get home (~4pm) to usually about 8pm. What is weird is that I have service and have no problems calling others although nothing will come through to me until later in the evening. The last few days I have been rebooting before leaving the office although I get similar problems. The only other thing I can think of is that I recently turned on bluetooth to sync with my new car but I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Has anyone else had similar issues or is there any threads out there with fixes? I really don't want to spend another $30 a month on a landline when Verizon is raping me for $80 already.

Solution
stock rom or custom rom? have you been updating your phone or has it remained solid for awhile? i know for a fact that some roms will screw with phone/text/web services. i know the current miui build for me likes to stay on 1x when it switches from 3g for a LONG time unless i reboot.

any chance this could be caused by network congestion? 4-8pm are peak times. i've had my data rates drop by over half but i dont think i've missed any texts or calls. however i dont get many incoming so its hard to judge.

i'm getting around -95, -98dbm in a building right now. thats 1 or 2 bars of signal. normally that pulls at least 100kbps 3g and i can make phone calls and texts.

cellular signal is strange... i've seen signal increase by 1 or 2 bars...
i don't see how syncing bt with your car would cause this issue. i have mine synced and it didnt change a thing.

perhaps a cell tower got taken down or moved. updated your tower definition with the * number (look it up). you type it in and it downloads the most recent list. it improved my signal by a bit (but i'm still in a bad zone!!).

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

That's the thing, it only happens at certain times of the day and typically if I have not looked at my phone in a while. I did update my cell tower definition (*228 option #2 by the way) although there doesn't appear to be any major improvement. I looked at my actual signal strength and it is hovering around -90 dBm at the moment which may be the cause although it still doesn't explain why I have a better signal of the day.

stock rom or custom rom? have you been updating your phone or has it remained solid for awhile? i know for a fact that some roms will screw with phone/text/web services. i know the current miui build for me likes to stay on 1x when it switches from 3g for a LONG time unless i reboot.

any chance this could be caused by network congestion? 4-8pm are peak times. i've had my data rates drop by over half but i dont think i've missed any texts or calls. however i dont get many incoming so its hard to judge.

i'm getting around -95, -98dbm in a building right now. thats 1 or 2 bars of signal. normally that pulls at least 100kbps 3g and i can make phone calls and texts.

cellular signal is strange... i've seen signal increase by 1 or 2 bars by moving the phone around on a desk.

perhaps a cell signal repeater would be of use...

Solution

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Stock ROM and phone is fully updated and has been running well for essentially the past 16 months. I am thinking that network congestion could be the culprit here after some more research and a plot of my signal vs time. Essentially from 4pm to 6pm my signal drops to around -100dBm where as most other hours I have around -90dBm. Last night at 1am I looked at noticed it was running at -88dBm so yea. Wish we could put our own "cell towers" up similar to a wireless routers but I guess that would bite into profit margins to much for the big carriers.

in a roundabout way you can.

if you have an always on highspeed connection you can tether your phone (phone calls and data) to it while you are within range. i've heard people with bad connections at home do this but i dont have any details for you.

however this would probably only work if it was a bad signal. network congestion would be unaffected as data still needs to pass through the network when its sent to you .

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah I have heard of some stuff but I thought it was actually illegal to intercept cell signals for any reason, even if your just routing / re-broadcasting as a cell tower does unless your a cell company of course. Idk, im mostly just venting about the general state of our electronic infrastructure. Wish the government would just make internet and cell infrastructure a public utility but they are to busy trying to pass SOPA/PIPA type laws. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.