DROID X Wins Victory in Android Battery Shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]I compared a Galaxy S with my iPhone 4 in an AT&T store yesterday and the Galaxy S' screen is crap. The AMOLED pixel arrangement cause small text to look fuzzy and the "white" is too green.AMOLED is about 2 years behind TN panel LCD and 4 years behind IPS LCD.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]I compared a Galaxy S with my iPhone 4 in an AT&T store yesterday and the Galaxy S' screen is crap. The AMOLED pixel arrangement cause small text to look fuzzy and the "white" is too green.AMOLED is about 2 years behind TN panel LCD and 4 years behind IPS LCD.[/citation]
Thats funny because I just got done comparing an ipod touch (which is 3g and not the new iphone) to my hero (lcd also), and his iphone's white was a reddish hew. So just saying maybe apple got it right this time, but their old screens sucked. Also I want a phone that works. So I think I will upgrade to the Sammy. Or the Droid X.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Here there are a series of differences(for ifans): http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500.php

First time i heard this: " "white" is too green", on this phone. The colors are actually brighter then on the iphone 4 and the white is good, i just checked a white wallpaper on low, medium and high brightness.

By the way, the android OS is expanding very fast now. Hope in time the battery will last longer with better optimizations and/or higher battery capacity. I saw on the net a HTC desire with a 3200mA.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Thats funny because I just got done comparing an ipod touch (which is 3g and not the new iphone) to my hero (lcd also), and his iphone's white was a reddish hew. So just saying maybe apple got it right this time, but their old screens sucked. Also I want a phone that works. So I think I will upgrade to the Sammy. Or the Droid X.[/citation]
You are comparing a 2 year old screen with current technology.

[citation][nom]ionut19[/nom]Here there are a series of differences(for ifans): http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9 [...] ew-500.phpFirst time i heard this: " "white" is too green", on this phone. The colors are actually brighter then on the iphone 4 and the white is good, i just checked a white wallpaper on low, medium and high brightness....[/citation]
Go down to an AT&T store and compare it yourself. Unscientific opinions are just unscientific opinions and I'll take my opinion over others.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]You are comparing a 2 year old screen with current technology.[/citation]

And you're not reading. "So just saying maybe Apple got it right this time, but their old screens sucked."

*applaud*

You know, he wrote more than one sentence?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well, here is my personal Droid X battery life report:

I am currently running 2.1, and standard configuration (I don't have any of the battery-saver apps running, and I let my display auto-adjust the brightness). I have the standard widgets running, plus Weatherbug, and a battery and battery-temp monitor widget. I turn on bluetooth, wifi, and/or GPS as needed and turn them off when I won't be using them (pretty much wifi is on all the time, bluetooth is up and down a bit, and GPS is off most of the time).

I get up at 5:50am each morning. The phone is at 100% since I charge it each night. By 7am, I've got WiFi turned on and I am plugging away doing browsing, checking emails, doing some WoW Remote Auction House, watching the ocassionaly Youtube video, etc. By about 10am, I'm using the Internet a bit less, but I start exchanging texts with my wife and friends. I also use online banking apps, eBay, PayPal, etc. With continued heavy usage, the battery will be down to ~40% by about 3pm, at which time I will plug the phone in, again, for a couple of hours (I don't like let my phone battery get too low).

On a couple of ocassions, I have intentionally not charged the battery just to see how long it would go. By about 5pm, I've stopped using my phone and it is just on standby. By 10pm, the battery is at about 20%. That's the lowest I've gotten it to on a full day of use. But that's pretty much an average day. Overall, I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with the battery life, especially considering the screen size and how much I use this puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.