Dropbox Now Allows Public Sharing of Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]So, how long till they are persecuted like Megaupload and many other sites? I really like dropbox[/citation]

The case against Megaupload and other sites was made because those sites offered monetary rewards for the most downloaded files and thus encouraged and profited from sharing copyrighted material.

Sites like Rapidshare, that don't do that (anymore), were not targeted, because it's not illegal to offer public file sharing.

thrillhaus

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I thought this was always the case?[/citation]
Me too. I've been sharing public links to Dropbox files for years, mostly through screenshots through GrabBox.

G

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The case against Megaupload and other sites was made because those sites offered monetary rewards for the most downloaded files and thus encouraged and profited from sharing copyrighted material.Sites like Rapidshare, that don't do that (anymore), were not targeted, because it's not illegal to offer public file sharing.[/citation]
Sir, you are talking out of your ass. Rapidshare and others that don't offer rewards were not targeted first, but they are still on MPAA/RIAA's wish list.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Sir, you are talking out of your ass. Rapidshare and others that don't offer rewards were not targeted first, but they are still on MPAA/RIAA's wish list.[/citation]

Yes, they are on their wish-list, but it's hard to make a case against a simple file sharing service.
If service providers were liable for what it's users upload/use a service for, then pretty much all the internet would be sued out of existence.

G

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Yes, they are on their wish-list, but it's hard to make a case against a simple file sharing service.If service providers were liable for what it's users upload/use a service for, then pretty much all the internet would be sued out of existence.[/citation]
Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying that MPAA/RIAA are actively pursuing these other lockers. Rapidshare will be one of the last to be attacked because they have a strong legal and lobbying presence, stopped their rewards program, and didn't egg on the copyright holders (in contrast to Megaupload's apparent strategy of requesting that MPAA/RIAA "suck deez nutz").

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The case against Megaupload and other sites was made because those sites offered monetary rewards for the most downloaded files and thus encouraged and profited from sharing copyrighted material.Sites like Rapidshare, that don't do that (anymore), were not targeted, because it's not illegal to offer public file sharing.[/citation]

Problem is that it is not illegal to offer monetary rewards AND MegaUpload and most others removed accounts when they found that someone was sharing copyrighted stuff, whether they were getting paid for it or not.

Bottom line is that what MegaUpload was doing was and is not illegal by the letter of the law. The MPAA is trying to bullshit about Kim Dotcom uploading a file to the service that was 'illegal', but it was his own personal backup to test a new site function. It had a grand total of ZERO downloads.

They are also trying to bullshit about "MegaUpload knew about the piracy!" Well, sure they did.... that's how they removed accounts that were used for piracy!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Anything that could possible give organizations such as the MPAA, RIAA, and BREIN (overseas) a major headache, puts a smile on my face. I don't think any direct comparison between MegaUpload and DropBox is remotely accurate. The only similarities they share is offering users a place to store data and share it, everything else about the two companies are completely opposite. Sites like Hotfile, Rapidshare, and MegaUpload KNOW where most of their profit is coming from, and it isn't from legit files (although there are a lot of them). Piracy gave them their claim to fame even if they're all back-tracking now pretending otherwise.

kunzite

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I have been using this feature of Dropbox for well over a year. No account was needed to recieve and use the files "public link". I don't see how this is news. Unless perhaps they mean to option to share a (unzipped) folder?

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Skydrive > DropboxIf you don't think so, tell me why.[/citation]

Easy, take this for an example: I can right-click a file and grab the public URL for a file from my own OS and post it (it will be a direct link to the file).

With skydrive, you have to login to the site (unless you use third-party software like SDExplorer), grab the long convoluted URL, post, and the recipient gets a link to the file junk. Other than the larger amount of free initial space, there's nothing that skydrive does that dropbox doesn't. There's also app support for android, ios, and probably windows phone (but still haven't seen that many make the jump onto that platform yet).

I also haven't seen MS make an app that allows your phone to automatically upload pictures unlike dropbox.

I don't know, I just like it better, even though I use both.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Skydrive > DropboxIf you don't think so, tell me why.[/citation]

Because of who owns it... While they are making it portable to many devices they have a vested interest in (and long history of) not providing the best services/support to competing platforms (phone, pc, browser, tablet).

tufteok

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
You're making progress.
g.gif

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
If the MPAA does anything to Dropbox I will riot.

For me, the Dropbox is the next best thing since sliced bread. It can do much more than a simple cloud service.

Status
Not open for further replies.