DSLR Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

deforrest

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
no canon??? What is up with that? I am thinking of upgrading my rebel XTi. Nice post but incomplete. Way to go Tom

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Seeing as this is a cut and paste job from Digital Versus and they have a very good range of cameras in the complete review would it have been that much more effort to add some more cameras for completeness.

For anybody interested the full article is here

(sorry for the double post but I since I can’t edit my 1st post I have to add a 2nd

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Couple of comments:
The Olympus E-P1 is not a SLR, when you're talking focus, live view and the like, it is functionally very different from an SLR.

Where is the Pentax Kx, or at least K2000?

You've failed to give credit to Sony and Olympus (and Pentax) for their sensor based stabalization which works with almost any lens.

What are the parameters of your image quality test? Are these jpegs straight from the camera? Raws processed in lightroom, what?
An almost monotone crop might give some idea of noise, but nothing of colour, dynamic range or contrast. A noise free image at iso 3200 sounds great, but that doesn't do a lot of good if you've compromised colour saturation to do so.
The Canon looks like it's losing detail as low as iso400 - or maybe it's not in focus, it's hard to tell.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I used to sell cameras in the retail market and I used to laugh every time a self proclaimed professional came in and wanted the "best camera" which, according to them, was the one with the highest megapixel count. This is why I really admired Nikon for putting out the D40 - because they actually gave beginners/casuals a solid (still solid to this day) DSLR for super cheap because it was 6.1MP instead of the 10.1 which was the trend at it's release. I still use my D40 and it's great!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I agree with omnimodis78. My wife's D300 is nice and all but my D40 is so simple and easy to use, also so much smaller and lighter. Only photographers can see the diff in picture quality, which unfortunately includes most of her family.....

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Canon didn't include 24fps 1080p video shooting on the T1i because they were saving that feature for the more expensive 7D.

7D is about twice the price as the T1i but it still doesn't include a full frame sensor. Why are the most desirable things always the most expensive??? (rhetorical question)

Status
Not open for further replies.