DSLR won't take pictures.

vedetap0p

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Hello!! I have a Canon 500D today I've tried to take a picture and it won't take it, I pressed the shutter button and nothing happened. Someone please help me.

Solution

Then either the lens or the camera is physically faulty, or some setting is incorrect.
This is not really user fixable.

Since it is an older camera and long out of warranty, find a local camera shop and take it there.
They can probably discover the actual issue.

USAFRet

Illustrious

This is a brand new camera? As in you got it today?

Batteries charged and installed?
Have you read the user manual?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then this is probably a situation of "send it in for repair".
Doesn't sound like something user fixable.

When you turn it on, does it give any indication of life?

vedetap0p

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
I've tried to change something and I've changed it from AF to MF and I was able to take pictures but they were full blur.
When I turn it on it seems the same and there's nothing different that before.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Ah, so it does work.
MF = Manual Focus. You have to turn the focusing ring to bring the object into focus.

vedetap0p

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

I press the shutter button, nothing happens, no sound and no picture is taken.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then either the lens or the camera is physically faulty, or some setting is incorrect.
This is not really user fixable.

Since it is an older camera and long out of warranty, find a local camera shop and take it there.
They can probably discover the actual issue.

Solution

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
What mode is the camera in i.e. what little icon is the dial on the top right set to.

If it is on AF, and it is not able to focus, or achieve an adequate outcome it simply may choose to not take the shot.

Given that it is always blurry, i have to ask, has it been dropped? either the lens or the camera body.

Can you remove and refit the lens?

vedetap0p

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Okay, thank you for trying to help me

Oct 11, 2018
"13thmonkey" said: "If it is on AF, and it is not able to focus, or achieve an adequate outcome it simply may choose to not take the shot."

My Observation(s):
I ended up browsing through this old thread, because I was having the same issue with a recently purchased used T7i (800D) unit. I discovered that the above was the actual problem. Canon has, apparently, designed their DSLRs to reject poorly taken photos… before they can happen. Lol. I was just trying to take a photo, quality not so important, while learning what all the buttons and settings on it were about, when I encountered the problem of the malfunctioning shutter button. When I adjusted the lighting in my photo (thank goodness I knew how!), the shutter button returned to it's former, fully-funtioning glory.

If you're having this problem, I would recommend adjusting your lighting… then try the shot again.

If you just want complete control over your "poorly taken" photos (lol), just put it on MF, and grab a book or take a class, and be done with it. All the best. - Erin (10/11/18, 4:20 p.m.)