Durable laptop needed, not prone to overheat

CrowCrag

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Hi,
I need to get a replacement laptop ASAP as my current one is failing, hoping to order one in the next couple of days. Might be able to salvage the existing one, but need to have a backup available I'm certain of in case that can't be done. I also want to get a Windows 8 machine whilst there's still a good choice.

The thing is generally on most of the time I'm awake so durability is very important. The previous ones have lasted an average of less than 3 years each and it's always overheating and fan issues that are the problem. Would be great if there's easy access to the fan so the entire machine doesn't need to be disassembled to get at the fan, like this HP does.

Tasks are just word processing and office tasks, web use, films, music. But have been wondering if a gaming laptop would fit my requirements for durability and not overheating, and be constructed with the user who might want to disassemble in mind.

Also it needs to have a really soft keyboard. Sony Vaios were great for this but they are no longer being made. HP isn't much good on this front. (Not getting an HP again.) I have heard good things about Lenovo keyboards. I used to have a Toshiba a long time ago and it seemed pretty sturdy but that was going on 20 years ago so barely relevant to how the machines might be now.
Not averse to touchscreens, something that could also be used as just a tablet would be quite useful sometimes, but the way a laptop can be folded up and carried easily in one hand without a case is important.

Is it still the case that you should avoid AMD processors and go for Intel if you are concerned about overheating? I have always done this so far, but not sure how much it helped as the machines only lasted about half as long as I hoped.

If you want reliability, get a Lenovo T, X or W series depending on your budget. If your systems keep overheating you should also check into how you use them, running laptops in a bed on pillows/sheets for example when vents are blocked is bad. Also need to do some clean up every so often and check vents and fans to make sure they are not clogged.