DV6000 Upgrade Options - Out of the "Norm"

Status
Not open for further replies.

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi,
First and Foremost--This post is not for the average computer user. Any Upgrades I am attempting could be fatal to a system.

I am normally a desktop person, but have been monkeying with a couple laptops lately. I could use some info on upgrading an HP Pavillion DV6409wm laptop.

Last year I built a quad core, amongst many other upgrades to others, so I do have pretty good knowledge of desktop systems. The details are somewhere on my profile page.

This laptop originally had Windows Vista and was obviously meant only for web browsing for beginners. My questions are on how to make it a more all around system.

HP support lists are for newbies and not for computer extremists. I would like to know just how far I can go with this (within financial reasoning) in upgrades. Im not looking for what HP says this system will do. I am looking for what it CAN do by people who have gone beyond the limits. I have nothing to lose by frying it if something doesnt work right. It's been in HP's shop twice in 2 years for motherboards. First time for video card, second time for power supply. (this one i paid for) Gotta love that integrated stuff. (yah right)

For starters, only 2 GB of RAM is supported. Has anyone every successfully run 4GB in a 6000 series? The reason for so much is for running programs like photoshop, as well as Windows 7 64 bit (which I had on it for awhile but reverted back to XP 32 bit to run Railroad Tycoon II. Also the added memory is to help the low end video card. (shared memory) (Hopefully)

Next up would be a processor upgrade. It currently has an AMD turion 64 x2 tl-56, 1.8GHZ socket G1, 638 pin. The next step up according to them is only a 2.0 ghz. This wouldn't even be noticeable. Are there any higher AMD processors I could look for? The next jump would be to Intel, which is also ok, but would require a different mother board, (that is if they are like desktops) and they arent cheap. Newegg has a nice looking Intel core i5 2.66GHZ but would it show that much improvement? I know the core i5's and i7's are designed more for programs like photoshop. That is one reason for the possability.

Any input on this would be greatly apreciated. As well as links to sites for research.The first step would be the Memory and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit if I do nothing else. I already think the system is just too old and too limited to do anything with. So I am willing to "play" with upgrade possabilities. Thanks

Solution
david being a little familiar with the dv 6000 you can upgrade to 8gig of ddr2 if you can find the 4gig modules but safe to go to 4gig as for the cpu you could look for a turion p540 or p560 the 540 is 2.4 and the 560 is 2.5 both have a 25 watt working range and have a socket s1g4 and they are of the k10 arciteture they should work both are duo core as for intel they wont work as it has a totaly different socket
Hello david132;

The technical details you want aren't going to be widely available.
So you're probably better off visiting the HP support forums and asking for help there.
You'll need to get lucky to find someone else that's either been down the same road before or someone with specialized knowledge of HP laptop motherboards.

willy_93

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
wmdevitt@yahoo.com

willy_93

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
david being a little familiar with the dv 6000 you can upgrade to 8gig of ddr2 if you can find the 4gig modules but safe to go to 4gig as for the cpu you could look for a turion p540 or p560 the 540 is 2.4 and the 560 is 2.5 both have a 25 watt working range and have a socket s1g4 and they are of the k10 arciteture they should work both are duo core as for intel they wont work as it has a totaly different socket

Solution

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks willy_93, I didnt think the switch was worth it from 2.4 to 2.5. As for the memory, I was thinking along those lines, but wasnt sure if the cheap motherboard would pick up on all 8 gb. I know prebuilts almost always use bottom line motherboards. Going with Intel, I know I would have had to go with a motherboard as well.
I forgot all about this post. With all thats been going on. Alas I wont ever get to find out what I can do with that laptop. I lost my 2 bedroom apartment to a fire in August, along with the system pictured in my proifile and 5 other computers. I hope to start collecting older systems again here and there to putter with as well as build another desktop gaming/all around system. Will take time.
Thanks again.

willy_93

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
sorry to hear about the fire and your loss if you are going to play around with older laptops try one i had an older dell c840 pentium 4 at 2.oo with 2 gigs of ddr and i had a 160 gig single plate hard drive booted very fast because of the single plate didnt have to read three plates also there was a lot you could do with those c840s that a lot of people did not know to many to list i have atm an hpdv6000 and an e442 the e442 has a 320 gig hdd 8gigs of ddr3 and it runs very fast the cpu is 2,4 amd v series but the dell c840 well it actually seemed faster

david132

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Thats a good point on the single plate HD booting faster. Never pondered that. I also had an old Armada (actually 2) that I combined to get one working. Still like my desktops. Can do a little more. Pissed I lost my MS_Dos system. Had been acquiring a LOT of things on it. Even found out how to make USB work in MS-Dos.
I will definitly keep this info in mind though should I come across so older laptops.
Thanks again buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.