Dv6t-7000 Quick Question

touchtoplay

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello everyone, I'll try to make this brief. I'm about to buy a dv6t-7000 but am split between decisions. I have a couple questions:

1) I am looking to play games but will only play on low settings. I also want to be able to do so for at least 4 years. I know this requires some speculation but I want to know if anyone thinks an i5 core will be enough? I don't do MATlab or modeling programs so I was told I wouldn't need an i7, let alone a quad core. Also was told that the GPU would cap out before the processor after 4 years.

2) Not sure of the difference between the regular dv6t-7000 and the select version, could someone clarify? Pretty sure my configurations are the same but there's a $50 price difference. (PS: I know I selected the 1366x768 but I will change it later).

Regular: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7353653
Select: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7353671

EDIT: Nvm, I found out the main difference besides the HDD is I only get 6GB memory included in the regular rather than 8GB. Based on what I'm looking for in the previous statement, would I even need the extra 2GB?

3) Minor question, but do both have the fingerprint scanner?

Thanks for reading!

Pyree

Distinguished
1. The GPU is more likely to cap out first. Although more and more games are utilising 4 cores so a cpu with 4 physical core is going to be important in the future. But that we can only speculate. Also, the laptop may not last for 4 years (become paper weight b4 that time).

2. The $50 is not worth it. The difference in the hardware does not justify $50 increase. If you want to upgrade RAM and HDD in the future, just DIY.

3. The DV6 I have has fingerprint. I am pretty sure that is true there is. Send HP an email.

touchtoplay

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply. So I can stick with the i5 core then since the GPU will probably be the first to cap out?

And also you don't it's likely that this laptop will still be relevant in 4 years? I'm not a big techie, but like I said I just want to be able to play games on at least the minimum settings; I could care less about maxing out. Going off of what you said before, do you think it will be a paperweight because of the GPU? If it's not the core it will put me more at ease buying the i5.

Pyree

Distinguished
A 4 core cpu will become more important, but the i5 should be ok for lower settings. After all, there are still plenty of people with LGA 775 C2D out there and playing games and the the CPU is an oldie if not ancient.
By paper weight, I mean the laptop fail. Laptop 3 year failure rate is not pretty, like 25%.