Dv7-4180Us upgrade options

Bootstrap Bill

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I have a few questions about upgrading an HP Pavilion dv7-4180us.

1. The specs claim that this laptop can be upgraded to a maximum of 8GB RAM. Is this correct? Could it be fixed with a BIOS update or is it a hardware issue? There is a very similar model that has an AMD A8 CPU and it can be upgraded to 16GB.

2. The laptop includes an i5 CPU. Can it be upgraded to something better? Maybe an i7?

3. Can I add more than 1GB of dedicated video RAM?

4. This laptop does not include Bluetooth. Can it be added later?

Solution
No you can't upgrade the CPU in this laptop either it is also soldered to the board. Only thing you can really change internally is memory and the hard drive. You can replace the CD/DVD drive with another hard drive in some cases too but that is it.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
1. 8GB MAX, chipset limitation probably:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02497781&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4308513

2. Possible BUT the BIOS has to support it. If HP didn't include BIOS support, then there is no way. You can call and ask if they'll tell ya, or pretend you want an upgrade here and see if it lists any i7 CPUs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=38442&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4308513

3. Nope, the video card will be soldered to the motherboard and not 'upgradeable'

4. You can buy aftermarket bluetooth, but will have a dongle hanging out of a USB unless they made this model with BT. Check that on the hardware upgrades link above.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
No you can't upgrade the CPU in this laptop either it is also soldered to the board. Only thing you can really change internally is memory and the hard drive. You can replace the CD/DVD drive with another hard drive in some cases too but that is it.

Solution

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
No almost all current laptops are like that now. If they had a socket it would increase the thickness too much. That's why it's hard to find laptop processors. You might be able to have a store do it but you would also want some sort of warranty from them.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

I've bought various new laptops from Acer, Asus, Dell and Lenovo and every one I've touched did not have the CPU soldered to the motherboard. I guess it depends on whether you're getting something less than 1" thick or something that's 1.25-1.5" thick.

Most notebooks are not yet the surface mount variety. Even some of the Ultrabooks have socketed CPUs.

If the case of the DV7 - the CPU is user upgradeable.
oISWk.jpg

source: HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide