DV7 Bios locked up

jhaydon81

Estimable
May 17, 2014
I bought a broken dv7 on craigslist for 20 dollars it wouldn't turn on and had some issues I fixed all those and now it starts up. I didn't get the hard drive so I installed a Toshiba netbook HDD in it and tried installing windows 7 back on the laptop during this process the HDD got unplug and it shut off now it wont load past the HP screen and I can hit the button to get into Bios and it freezes. I still can restart using ctrl, alt and delete. I'm pretty sure I have to re-flash bios but can't figure out how to. I've tried resetting by pulling the CMOS battery but nothing can get me past this. I was planning on parting it out but now that it was working I would rather just fix it and give it to my nephew to play Minecraft on. Any help is appreciated.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Try disconnecting the HDD and turn it on. See if you can get into the BIOS at that point.
Also, try an external (usb) keyboard... I know it may sound odd but just try it. (to get into the BIOS)

If it's still a no-go I'd say you need a new motherboard.
You could flash the BIOS but that's just it... If you can't get into the BIOS or boot into windows/DOS/Linux or other OS then you won't be able to flash the BIOS anyway.

jhaydon81

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Ive tried that also, The weird thing is I can hit the f10 key and it takes the command but locks up when it says entering BIos. I'm thinking I need a new motherboard also I'll try the external keyboard first though.