DVD to computer

lytspace

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
My wife had old home movies converted from 8mm to VHS, then VHS to DVD. I want to take those files and put them on my computer to convert them to something that works on a cell phone. Is that possible? Maybe I could also lightten the very dark images as well. any suggestions? Thank you

Solution
If you have the DVD's on hand, you should be able to pop them Into your computer and use software to convert It Into the appropriate smartphone format. I can vouch for Freemake Video Convertor http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ It's converts multiple formats Into a wide range of video formats, It can even convert DVD or video links from YouTube and other video streaming sites.

If you could go In a bit more detail as to what DVD you have to convert and which phone you wish to convert It to, then I could give you more detail Into how to proceed with a conversion.

For editing the video your best solution would be to download a video editing software such as Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects. These professional software will...

Poke-Artist

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
If you have the DVD's on hand, you should be able to pop them Into your computer and use software to convert It Into the appropriate smartphone format. I can vouch for Freemake Video Convertor http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ It's converts multiple formats Into a wide range of video formats, It can even convert DVD or video links from YouTube and other video streaming sites.

If you could go In a bit more detail as to what DVD you have to convert and which phone you wish to convert It to, then I could give you more detail Into how to proceed with a conversion.

For editing the video your best solution would be to download a video editing software such as Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects. These professional software will allow you to edit videos from an MP4 format or other various formats to edit the sound, picture quality and to add various other edits or effects to your video.

Once again If you could post more detail as to what computer you have, what software you have if you have any for video editing, what your skill level Is with editing videos and what your budget Is if you are willing to purchase software to do so.

I hope the information I have provided will help you In some way or another, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

Matt

Solution

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
handbrake video converter (its free, no tricks or up sale). Since these are home movies there's probably no copy protection on them so you should be able to do the whole thing straight from handbrake. Just covert it to a .mp4 (the default) the resulting file will play universally on almost any device these days.

https://handbrake.fr/

Poke-Artist

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014

While I use handbrake as my primary for convert files and adding subtitles to videos, I personally think that free make is more user friendly, simple to use and has a simple concert option only taking around 4 or. 5 clicks to get a video/DVD converted.

But you may want to try both and see which works best for you.

If you're in North America and these are NTSC DVDs (they play in a DVD player attached to your TV), be aware that the video is interlaced. Whether you use Handbrake or Freemake or some other software, make sure the deinterlace/decomb option is selected.

I've seen way too many VHS/DVD conversions uploaded to YouTube that haven't been deinterlaced (shows up as horizontal lines during fast motion). If you do not do the deinterlacing when you're initially converting the interlaced format, it's very difficult to correct it later. As these are home movies you want to archive, you want to make sure you do it right.

Also check out the DVD to h.264 tools and guides section on videohelp.com. (mkv, mp4, etc are just containers, the actual video format is usually h.264, sometimes h.265 or VP9.)

http://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/dvd-to-mp4-avc-h264