Solved! DVI No Sound! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2020
Hi,

Have an old tv. NO HDMI port. Only DVI and VGA in the back of the tv. Bought a dvd player that plays movies off a usb and the picture is perfect but there is no sound! There is a coaxial output on the dvd player but don't know what i'd need to get to play sound through it.

Thankyou

Solution
If the TV has a DVI input there will be an analog audio input to go with it. It may have two RCA jacks or a single 3.5mm stereo mini plug jack.
If the player only has a digital audio output you will need a digital to analog converter. Make sure that the player can be set to pcm stereo output. If not you will need a DAC that can accept a 5.1 bitstream output.
You will also need a coax digital cable (most composite video cables will work) and a cable to connect the DAC output RCA jacks to the TV.
If the TV has a DVI input there will be an analog audio input to go with it. It may have two RCA jacks or a single 3.5mm stereo mini plug jack.
If the player only has a digital audio output you will need a digital to analog converter. Make sure that the player can be set to pcm stereo output. If not you will need a DAC that can accept a 5.1 bitstream output.
You will also need a coax digital cable (most composite video cables will work) and a cable to connect the DAC output RCA jacks to the TV.

Reactions: Moonblade101
Solution
Feb 13, 2020

The dvd player has PCM and the TV has both RCA jacks and a single stereo mini plug jack. So would I plug the digital to analog converter into the back of the digital output on the dvd player and then run the cables to the back of the tv (RCA jacks or stereo jack)? What sort of cables would I need for that to work?

Thankyou very much.

As I said you need a coax digital RCA cable to connect the audio out of the player to the RCA digital input on the DAC. This is a single RCA cable. Most composite video cables will work.
The output of the DAC will be 2 RCA jacks so you need a cable with 2 RCA plugs at that end. Check the TV to determine which jacks correspond to the DVI input. The other end of the cable should have the corresponding plug. If you have the option of using RCA plugs at both ends of the cable to connect the DAC to the audio input of the TV then go that way. Otherwise just get a cable with 2 RCA plugs at the DAC end and a stereo 3.5mm plug at the TV end.

Reactions: Moonblade101
Jan 22, 2020
Hi,

Have an old tv. NO HDMI port. Only DVI and VGA in the back of the tv. Bought a dvd player that plays movies off a usb and the picture is perfect but there is no sound! There is a coaxial output on the dvd player but don't know what i'd need to get to play sound through it.

Thankyou
If the player only has a digital audio output you will need a digital to analog converter. Make sure that the player can be set to pcm stereo output. If not you will need a DAC that can accept a 5.1 bitstream output. roblox music codes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.