Dyson Bladeless Fan Still Really Blows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]So basically, they use a mystery device to draw air in and force it into the loop amplifier. $1 says they use a bladed fan to do this. In other words, this isn't a bladeless fan, its a airspeed/volume amplifier.[/citation]
Exactly. It's got a brushless motor turning some type of turbine inside the base. It took a couple of minutes to find that on their site, and even then it just says "A combination of the technologies used in turbochargers and jet engines generates powerful airflow".

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'm not about to buy any of his overpriced products, but I do love hearing about all tech behind his stuff. That and has accent is amazing and makes his commercials so much better.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
doesnt anyone here like the "buffeting sound"? i find it has a cooling effect almost as good as the fan itself. for me anyway..

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
How efficient is it? Does it move a larger volume of air for a given amount of electricity? Or conversely, can it move the same volume of air using less electricity? If so, then this is a major advance. If not, it's just cool (no pun intended, I just can't think of a better word to describe it).

And, if they can make one that's inexpensive and nearly silent, then they can license it to AMD and it can become part of their "Cool'n'Quiet" technology.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
People... My guess is that they use a 'corona' wire(not the beer :p )charged with high voltage, low current power just like those air purifiers every one was so wild about. This will generate a decent airflow on it own. Throw in the Amplifier ( based on the venturi effect) and it probably makes a decent little blast of air.... But there aint no way I'm spending that kinda jack on a fan, bladeless or otherwise!

frankv

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Since there's a fan in the base blowing a presumably small jet of high speed air upwards, it seems to me that the circular opening thing could be replaced by a suitable diffuser and a reflector. I think an angled piece of corrugated cardboard would do the same job. I'll sell that technology for half-price, say $250 a piece.

frankv

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I wonder whether it can be made to work in reverse? i.e. take a large volume of slowish-moving air and convert it to a small volume of high-speed air? Then we could have windmills with moving parts limited to a turbine which is protected from the environment.

G

Air amplifiers have been around for a long time. Google coanda affect. Nice looking package but silly price.

kingtoid

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
This is cool, but by telling us how it works I can EASILY see how to make one for around 20 bucks. And mine would look cooler. And I would partner with other companies for branding and in general selling my product (and self) out. I would call it the Slipstream, and I would sell it for a price far to high, but just enough such that people would think that it is special and can't help but waste their money on it.

And then I would build a fan and sell that too.

But some of still are in the heat of summer. This last week we have been averaging in the 90's. A wonderful reprieve from the normal highs in the 100's (or more) during the summer. And for myself personally, a 14 dollar box fan does just fine.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]People... My guess is that they use a 'corona' wire(not the beer )charged with high voltage, low current power just like those air purifiers every one was so wild about. This will generate a decent airflow on it own.![/citation]Highly unlikely, since those generate a lot of ozone, which can cause problems for people with allergies or asthma. Lawsuits over health issues related to the "Ionic Breeze" purifier are what put The Sharper Image out of business. I'm pretty sure Dyson wouldn't make the same mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.