Dyson Bladeless Fan Still Really Blows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
"Air is drawn into the base of the machine. The air is forced up into the loop amplifier and accelerated through the 1.3mm annular aperture"

So this is literally Aperture Science...

A lot lamer than I'd hoped.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I need the buffeting sound of the fan to sleep. Or I hear every damn noise in the house. The sound of the fan soothes me and makes me get a much better sleep.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
If they develop this technology enough, we might even start to see engines on aircraft without the big turbines on the front. No more landing in the Hudson due to birds flying into your engines. It definitely won't be around for quite a while. But it's a very neat possibility.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Check their video. the one that says "see the reactions".
Notice how there's not a single hair waving on the long haired women..
I could say the machine is on a low setting, but still.....

I would never spend 300$ on this :\..

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Nice idea, but can it get rid of jimmybuffeting?

:)

Seriously, if it moves more air, is more quiet, and is more efficient... Done, where do I sign...

Very impressed with their other models so far... The Dyson we own in miles ahead of our last several vacuums... Kudos for them to try to think outside the box and improve on classic designs... Sure they are expensive, but no more expensive then the other models that simply keep packaging the same unit and calling it a new model...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Blade Trilogy? Only the first two are worth watching over and over again. The 3rd one... ugh?

$300 for a fan? I'm actually quite happy with my $30 fan... even has a remote and can vary its "wind speed".

Oh, from the company that brings us $500~800 vacuum cleaners.

If Dyson wants to break some amazing tech to the people... invent the noiseless vibrator. People will pay $500 for that.

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I don't really see how this could improve computer cooling.
Think about it... the base (look at it!! ) It's pretty big, and if it uses fans inside the base, well why not just use a regular fan in the computer. No advantage, except that it's cool looking. But at least it's expensive and un-needed.

G

For anyone that wants to see real bladeless fans, just do a search for "Ion Fans". They are also a hell of alot cheaper than this eyesore.

ansar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Heh, I wonder how they can get away with saying "blade-less".

I think the main factor will be the noise level from the "blade-less" intake.

G

using air movement like that is nothing new.. Just look at a toaster, which sucks cold air on the bottom, and on the top has hot air coming out...

Now the question is if it works with heat, or if it uses another technology.
If you want a successful cooling using hot surfaces to make airflow, you'd never even reach the capacity of a fan at that size.
Or if you would, you might send a lot more energy into it to get that airflow, than with a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.