EA Mandates Online, DLC for Every Game in 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the required onlien play isn't such a bad idea , (though some game ideas just DO NOT work for multiplayer ) we just went over this kind of thing in my school (i'm majoring in game design). the thing that irk's me is mandatory DLC , quite hoenstly i'm no fan of DLC , it cost to much for what it adds really , not to mention with pc titles it kiles deccent full blown expansions (something i really miss, and I'm glad that Dragon age is getting a full expansion) . then ther is teh "holow" game thing , i can easyily see a more than a few developers getting be hind schedules and then shelfing many great game features into DLC because they didn't ahve time to work it into release. truth be told , this is not just a bad time for PC games and gamers , this is a bad time for gamers period , publishers have gotten greedy , their deadlines they give developers are worse than ever. and teh advent of online funtionality is starting to really hurt the products , not to mention more often than not publishers wil fund a shitty "clone" game quicker than they will fund something new and unique. Think about all teh FPSer's that have been reelased on console and PC lately. can you hoenstly say past one or two taht they really stand out ?? (and pelse don't list MW2 that oen is a exact clone of MW 1 and it sucks balls becaue it is not even as long as the first one was in play time , not to mention it's MP is seriously gimped ..

EA is the worse publisher about churning out "clone" games

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
God EA are stupid, do any of them even play games?

I know, lets mandate that every new game has physics mechanics!! the kids these days sure seem to be into physics!

this is stupid, the only reason I can imagine that they would make such a blind sweeping statement is in a misguided attempt to slide DRM in under the hood.

everything that EA says baffles me.

this is almost as stupid as making it so every games for windows game needs to support a controller. I wouldn't even dare to guess what Dawn of war 2 is like...

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
EA should probably slow their roll on this one. I find most any kind of "blanket" decision usually has bad fallout.

Also, I don't think Mass Effect would work well with multiplayer in its current state. However, if the combat is improved as much from ME2 to ME3 as it was from ME1 to ME2...I could be convinced to give it a shot.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok everyone stop bitching. if you don't like what EA is doing then don't buy their products and problem solved, if you buy the games you empower the company to do whatever it wants. stupidity goes both ways :)

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ok everyone stop bitching. if you don't like what EA is doing then don't buy their products and problem solved, if you buy the games you empower the company to do whatever it wants. stupidity goes both ways[/citation]
thats right..or u could try to boycott it like MW2....see how that epically failed

ardurren

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
i think most of you are just upset because u know 2/3 of ur library is ripped. no i dont think we should be "forced" into online gaming but i personally dont PURCHASE any games that arent MP so it sounds like a good year for me! i just hope they dont consider crap like spore creatures and sims 3 furniture sharing to be MP.

And guys.. if u dont like EA dont play their games, its that simple.

on a side note kami3k.. i think theres a medication for your condition, you should see a doctor

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Does anyone remember when companies made huge impressive games that almost justified their price tag and then, maybe a year later would release an expansion that was essentially a whole new game for 15 dollars: think Neverwinter Nights, etc.

Now we get DLC. You can pay extra money to get a red shirt instead of the standard blue one. Or worse, the game is crippled and half finished, purchasing it just gives you the right to enter the store and buy the rest of it.

What really stinks is that it's planned from the beginning: launch day DLC just means there's stuff they have but chose not to include in the game you just paid sixty dollars for.

It's insulting.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Screw DLC. Not every game needs it. Fallout 3? Sure. MW2? Hell no.
And for online, well, some games it works just fine (and FPS), but Dragon Age online? Screw it.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I see EA's point ... dlc and online play means you might have to buy the game to play, and that makes more people actually buy the game - in theory at least. I think the reality will be that pirates deliver ea games and dlc's or that fewer people simply play ea games thus diminishing their awareness to ea games and in turn lower income in 2013+

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]thats right..or u could try to boycott it like MW2....see how that epically failed[/citation]

Did it fail? Look at the online usage of the PC version... The combination of the boycott and the poor implementation of MW2 resulted in the PC version MP being a major fail.

Whether this benefits PC gamers in the future though is debatable, it is far more likely that rather than improve the PC version for future releases they will just drop the PC version altogether

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Or we could do what we did with WoW.
Create our own servers and do whatever the bloody hell we want. >=)
I probably spent a third of my WoW career in private servers.

And yeah, MW2 for PC = epic fail. GG EA. I remember playing old school tiles like mech warrior and NFS on PC because they were PC only. I have a rig worth overt $2,000 so please don't neglect us and stop producing PC titles (or sub-par titles).

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Some games are like a good book and have a singleplayer univer/story you want to dive into alone.

Who would want to do some multiplayer book reading? (and with trash talking players?)

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Game developers will "behind closed doors" partner up with ISPs so that most games require downloadable content, either as patches or add-ons, which of course means the ISPs charge you for your bandwidth overages. I would assume a portion will be kickbacks to the game publishers, the same as movie studios, music publishers, TV networks, etc. They have an addicted culture of computer users and computer content users, now's when they take us to the cleaners.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Looks like EA is trying to calm their investors. Because we all know that downloadable content and online play is what really sells a game, not good game design. */sarcasm*

Status
Not open for further replies.