EA Says the iPad is its Fastest Growing Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I hate you EA. You killed the Battlefield Franchise. Now you are sucking on the nipple of Apple. I'm done with you.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Lol, here's one more platform where EA can charge a lot for graphically dumbed down games. That's exactly why it's enough to build a PC once in three-fours years and forget about upgrades - none needed. I don't even know if it's good or bad anymore.

And they dare call it "gaming"... mindless tapping on the touchscreen. No storyline, no skill, no graphics - and yet this "gaming" receives a lot of investments and is a fastest growing platform, I'm pretty sure it is accurate... where is this world going? People prefer to waste their time on throwing birds at pigs on $500+ toys more than anything else.

I hope that we'll at least keep getting new PC titles... even if they're console ports, I don't mind, just keep making them and don't let the gaming degrade even further - from consoles to tablets. What's next, back to Tetris?

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
And people thumbed me down when I posted that I am not building another PC gaming rig, not worth it. These mega companies that ate up all the good game developers are now running the show and the PC is on the bottom of their list.
I will get either a 720 or PS4 after thoroughly looking at both of them. Until that day my PS3 and Q9650/GTX 560Ti has years of service left.
I'm through with Apple too, when my Macbook pro decides to give up the ghost I'm going back to Ubuntu.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
My grand kids like throwing birds at pigs. Only they do it on the big screen with an air mouse. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a closed system.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The problem for us gamers is that these handheld games cost a handful of money to make. Sure, they only sell them for $1 or $2, but they sell millions of copies. A triple-A title, on the other hand, can cost up to $100 million. It's not hard for them to see where the easy money is.

I'm confident that both gamers and producers will adapt to this trend and that we'll continue to see both kind of games (fun time-wasters and full productions) on the market.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I hate EA anyway.
They cut on everything.
Support totally sucks.
1 month ago, they tell me they'll a disk FOR FIX THEIR MISTAKE.
I don't have received it.

They cry baby about Steam, surely, they also try to stole the idea with Origin and NO GAME in Origin. What the point!

So TALK BIG when you'll be able to contains your support and your complains!!!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its easy to predict EA will have the best growth in the new sector, considering how tarnished their reputation is in the others. Typical EA style is that they purchase "brands" and pushing out poor quality/garbage in that name for as long as possible, just look what happened to the latest (last?) title in the C&C brand and that brand had tons of loyal followers. They could have milked it for year to come with quality but instead they ruined it!

The question is not if it will happen in this sector too, its more about where they will turn after that?

G

OK, EA, that´s enough jokes from you. I know, as a big company supporting many games that have a huge fanbase, it´s hilarious to dumb them down to reach bigger audiences, and look at percentages and say ´perhaps we should just f*** the PC', focusing on gaming on iPads instead of gaming consoles/PC's, and generally trying to develop great games backward until they are so dumbed down in so many ways that Angry Birds will be considered a more hardcore title than Battlefield and Mass Effect etc.

It's all jokes, right? We've had a lot of fun, now you'll get back to supporting good games again and 'ambition' won't be a taboo any longer, right? ...right?

(I understand... 'dumbing down' is financially a very good choice. Is there anything we gamers can do to make companies make better and more ambitious games? I mean, we should be able to do SOMETHING, but looking at franchises like CoD and AC, and perhaps most franchises nowadays, it really seems the money is better invested in marketing than in ambition... not only does it sell better, gamers and game critics alike seem to prefer it that way.)

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Platforms have many things that are just not different. With a new platform is especially something that is. So, with what to work with the most probably would be of just that, something new.

To say gaming isn't missing about , oh, 3 yrs, almost of it to say on some ideas and concepts are probably give and take, but of issues of concerns elsewhere think has had a place relevence, perhaps.

Still of many things that do find a way to try too make a difference for things of difference makes the difference. PC are not the only things that have say "video gaming" applications.

Rather to say of what has been a place of interest though, is anyones guess, yes?

But again it is ideas of interest at times. And with Bigger companies it is to lose one for one, yes? Maybe that is backwards some but still.

And with the Ipad on an "idea" of many interests, why not find the place for them, if there is more then one for "video gaming" . If video gaming pretain to only one kind of interest, there probably wouldn't be many platforms of interest to work with. But is still hard saying or telling really sometimes.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
iOS games are really just mindless timesinks for when you're on a plane, sitting in a meeting or waiting at the doctor's office.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Even though "hardcore" console games can't stand the thought of the lion's share of the gaming industry being occupied by the casual iPad mass market. Its simply a business decision for those big companies at the end of the day. But the underlying reason that the iPad and others like it are doing so well is because it is simple. Everything Apple does as a gentle learning curve. If instantly "get" a device or a piece of software you're naturally going to see the product's value proposition.
Once the hardcore market players overcome the middleman of the game controller and device a way for people to instantly understand and jump into the gameplay, then you'll have a lot more growth on the console side. Similar to what Nintendo did when the Wii just launched.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Such harsh critics for EA... Guess I'll be thumbed down to oblivion with the chinese outfit sellers since I am about to say something blasphemous to TomsHardware readers.

Go EA!
Do whatever you can so you can keep funding BioWare/DICE so they can continue to make incredible games! ;p

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
EA killed gaming. They killed Bullfrog (Syndicate Wars), they killed Westwood Studios (Command & Conquer), and they even hung their PC EA Sports fans out to dry early last decade... They even killed Maxis (Sim City) to give us a dumbed down, DRM filled copy of Spore...

They can burn in hell...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The Ipad is going to surpass the Nintendo DS is portable gaming. You can do soo much more with an Ipad then you can with a Nintendo DS besides gaming.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ EA doesn't make anything... they merely fund the great companies like BioWare, who produce the mind-blowing titles like Mass Effect, market it and take most of the profits. The "games" that they DO make, however, are repetative boring casual fillers... like the new NFS that comes out every year, EA "Sports" games and other junk. I'm looking at my desktop right now - at its right half, where the game shortcuts hang out - and realise that half of the titles there are made by BioWare, three by CryTek, and few by other companies - Infinity Ward, Avalanche, Relic... yet somehow the EA logo made its way into 90% of these games' intro movie sequences. Good for business, though.

Go EA!
Do whatever you can so you can keep funding BioWare/DICE so they can continue to make incredible games! ;p

You know, I might just agree with you... nothing delivers as much as BioWare. If they have to release 1000 crappy tablet games in order to fund another kick-ass series from BioWare, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS