EA: Single-Player A Thing of the Past

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Fans of a type of game, genre, style, etc. will never die if you keep making good games of that kind.....no?(sorry for double post)

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
No Single Player,ha.Can you imagine a game like Mass Effect being a Online only Multiplayer experience?Then again lets see how well the Old Republic does.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
[citation][nom]gaevs[/nom]The day I cannot find sigle player games, will be the day i stop buying games at all.. as simple as that.[/citation]

Yeah me too... and stop playing if I can't get SP games.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
[citation][nom]nocteratus[/nom]They want to do like WOW and charge $15/month just to play a game you purchase.[/citation]

That's actually a bad move cause they charge you $15 for a month and you finish the game in a week= financial calculation failure.

slapdashzero

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
REally though, aren't most "Multi-Player" games just single player games with lag? Think any MMORPG... most of the time, you are running around doing quests for NPC's and fighting monsters by yourself. Sometimes you team up to take down something big, or to play with friends you know in RL, but the basic concept is still a story driven, NPC/event-based game. A MP game without a SP groundwork is just a bunch of people attacking each other or things with no reasons. Granted, there are games like that, and they can be fun, but I don't think SP campaigns and games could ever really go away; there'd be nothing left.

G

Apparently, I AM the only PC gamer that hates Multiplayer! You just can't compare the experience of a good, deep single player game in a dark room with headphones on. I got out of multiplayer so long ago, too many dumb ass 11 year olds ruining multiplayer gaming.

My favorite PC games of all time are:

The Splinter Cell series
Thief Series (flawless)
Oblivion
Bioshock and System Shock series
Original Unreal
All of Half-Life Series

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Go ahead and bail on single player games EA, others will take avantage of the hole and pick up your slack. I prefer single player over multi player and games like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age will always be around. If not from you EA or the lame Activision franchise who is now as lame as you are EA, then from someone else. So go ahead EA, and drop any support for single player games, no sweat off my balls.

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You still need single player for most games. otherwise it will be all just story less nonsense. Take a game like dragon age: origins great single player.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not much into SP for most games (the only single player fps that I actually finished was CoD). I am however, not in the majority. Not sure where EA got their info, but plenty of people play SP. Only perhaps 30-40% of the people play multi player compared to SP (imo).

G

This is wrong.

What is really going to happen is two types of game will be sold in the shops. A full single player game and a full online player game.

Might not be both for the same game.
I will say this, racing games have become so so boring playing AI.
So maybe racing games be the first to ditch "single player mode".

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Bioware disagrees... As do I. I'm currently playing through Dragon Age Origins and find that the game is extremely enjoyable. Looking back on the games that I have played in the past, quite a few of them have been single player games. (These games include Fallout 3, Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, and now Dragon Age: Origins) Although I do enjoy multiplayer games, I would be extremely upset if game developers stopped making single player games. They won't though. For evidence, just look at many games that are currently being released. For example, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Splinter Cell Convictions, and many other games are mostly single player in their focus.....

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah... but EA are idiots. they've already set to making it so innovative small game devs and decent prices are "on their way out".
and think that all anyone wants to do it play an electronic version of a sport that they could quite easily be playing outside for real! (probably cheaper too)

I mean they said them selves "Online functionality is a key way of extending the player experience" what exactly would you be extending if there was no single player? I mean with single player you get great stories and set pieces. the multi player is always just some indistinguishable rerererehash of the same 'deathmatch'!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
They should look into everybody's opinion instead of all the 12 year old fanboiz obsessed with Call of Duty. I rarely play online, as EVERY FPS game is identical online. There's no variation. I buy games for the Campaign, and then enjoy a bit of Multi-player afterward, as I'm sure do many others.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
It's hard to know what the EA rep meant. It could be that they want more single player games that also have multiplayer capable (like Neverwinter Nights). I've gone through a number of co-op games with my wife, but I can't see how you can get a good online co-op and maintain the same continuity unless you have hours to play every day. I haven't got Dragon Age because there is no co-op. Eventually, I might get it, but without being able to enjoy it together with my wife, I am in no rush, and will just wait until it is in the bargain bin. I waited until that with Mass Effect too. The stories will sometimes be compromised if every game includes co-op, but many of these allow you to have companions that often add little to the story, so those could be controlled by a second player...

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Is it me or are most of these companies smoking the same stuff, they really seem out of touch to what gamers want. They think they know what we want but its wrong. LISTEN TO US!!!

scorc25

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
too bad they just released Dragon Age, with zero multiplayer functionality...I think it would have been pretty amazing.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Perhaps for FPS games as most single player modes for fps games are getting to just a sad low
But RTS always have lore of some way and the campaign is = to learning levels.
Adventure/action/puzzle always will have single player.

EA just wants to put more punkbuster crap on my computer that tries to start up every time i boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.