EA Suing Over South Park Tiger Woods Episode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Boycot South Park. Only people with 3 grade mantallity watch South Park anyway so i don't think EA or Tiger have too much to worry about. Tiger is the best Golfer ever and he shall return to the top of the Kingdom soon. And Tiger will be around and remembered long after SP.[/citation]
I actually believe the guy was joking. This is after all the site that boycotts EA.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]As a result of this I've just decided never to purchase a game by EA again. By allegiance to South Park is far greater than EA. Burn baby burn.[/citation]

After their stupid stunt with C&C4's DRM nobody should need any more of a reason to boycott this craptacular games company. besides, people who play computer sport games are just sad losers.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I think if anything they could sue over trademark use of the name and content. Sure, defamation of EA is a stretch and parody/satire are protected speech. At one time the creators of Southpark tried to get approval from celebs for including them in skits the way other cartoons do such as the Simpsons, but since that inevitably fails.. it's better to just lampoon them in parody and satire to insulate themselves from a lawsuit so that's become the standard MO of southpark (so much that it is accepted pop culture and part of every 2-3 episodes). there is alot of "social commentary" which mirrors and cross-references the simpsons.. but has no interest in representing a political ideology the way FOX influences its writers.

G

The video game sequence is already one of my all time favorite SP gags, loved it! The chapter was an overal instant classic, hope they keep the level this new season. Get some other companies mad! LOL.

G

I love it that you all think because your beloved South Park show (and I agree with the person who said you have to have an elementary mentality to really find that show funny on a consistent basis unless your are stoned) has not been slammed before that it won't be now. This is not about attacking Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods has nothing to do with this. This is EA filing charges on 3 separate copyright infringements. If any of you pea-brained Americans (oh, by the way, I'm an American too and embarrassed more each day by countrymen and the way they behave) knew ANYTHING about the law you will see in the next month or so South Park settling with EA, because if it goes to trial, EA has a no-brainer case against South Park. It's not about opinion of whether it was funny (I saw it, it was pretty cute), it is about whether South Park has overstepped its legal boundaries by participating in copyright infringement. Oh, but I forgot. Tiger can't get a break for cheating on his wife despite the 10s of millions he has given to charities, children and what he has done for the economy, but South Park can say and do whatever it wants because..."its a joke?" Next time I run somebody over with my car or shoot somebody, I'll just use the "oh, it was just a joke," defense, and certainly if you're just joking, despite the cost and damage you have done to other hard-working Americans and their business, not to mentional BREAKING THE LAW, we should just have a sense of humor about the whole thing. Seems like everyone has a sense of humor when it comes to bashing Tiger and attempting to destroy any chance he has for a second chance (after all, isn't that what this country and our system is about - the belief that people make mistakes, can learn from them, and be rehabilitated?) despite him doing more for charity than any athlete before him. Tiger Woods broke no laws. South Park broke at least 2 copyright infringement laws, I am yet certain about the third they are claiming (EA may just be highballing South Park for a nice settlement), but trust me, EA will NOT lose if they try, so all you want Gin Fushicho...it only shows you believe you are smarter and know more than you do. Get a clue America. You are all uneducated nitwits who believe in magical gods (yes, now I am refering to Christians) to answer any unanswered questions we may have simply because we are not evolved, intelligent or mature enough to handle the answers even if we got them. America is falling apart and it is not the government's fault: it's the peoples'. I saw someone say in another forum on another board that each generation keeps getting better than the next and it left my mouth agape. Yes, middle schoolers having sex at the age of 12 and 13, and I am not talking oral, because they don't even believe that counts as sex. Each generation is becoming more self-righteous, egotistical, and arrogant yet all the studies and test scores show that each generation is actually less educated than the previous despite access to the internet and vasts amount of information that previous generations never had. Those of you who have posted on this board who have kids, here is a piece adive: go kill your children and then kill yourself so you won't have another chance to propogate your stupidity. I am starting to hope 2012 will bring an apocolypse...it may be the only thing that makes people realize that we need to love and support each other despite our faults if we want to survive as a race. All I see, particularly out of Americans is a sense of entitlement (heh, just like Tiger, only, he has admitted it, and none of you have - what makes you think you are entitlted to know the details of Tiger's personal life? Because you bought some nike shoes? Well, I hate to break it to you, but if you bought nikes just because Tiger wears Nikes, you're an idiot and he doesn't owe you anything accept an apology for how stupid you are). America is spiraling out of control yet the government has the media in a choke-hold so nobody knows how bad things really are. Perhaps you no-life, uncontributing, judgmental hypocrites should rethink yourselves, as Tiger had the courage to do. Look at yourself in the mirror and see if you have the strength to be honest about the person you see there. That selfish, judgmental, conceited, holier-than-thou attitude most Americans carry around as if they did a damn thing to earn such a priveledge. Tiger has saved more lives than he has hurt. He has helped more lives than all the posters on this forum combined. In my book, that makes him a good person and in my book it says none of you are entitlted judge him because he developed a flaw (don't we all at some point, whether its drugs, alcohol, smoking, sexual promiscuity, adultery (68% of marriages endure adultery if you were not aware, by the way - So I love how Tiger is getting hounded for what a majority of married people do anyway), stealing, etc.. Tiger has always been a top-notch philanthropist and has given a higher percentage of his income to charities than any other golfer. So, next time you morons judge someone, make sure you know who and what you are talking about, because the further you continue to embarrass our nation with your idiocy, the closer this country comes to obliteration. Sorry if that sounds a little intense and hard to swallow...but the truth almost always is, isn't it?

G

After reading some of the comments again, I am still staggered by the stupidity of this forum. Are you morons really under the impression that this is based upon spoof, or satire? This is about copyright infringement. None of you know ANYTHING about the law, that much is clear. A company as rich as EA (I don't know their umbrella corp, but, ahem, I do know they are far richer than the creators of South Park) has lawyers just as good if not better and they know what they are doing. You morons on the other hand, not only don't even know what you are doing, you don't even know what half the crap that comes out of your mouth even means. It's the old "if I talk real stern and act like I know what I am talking about people won't question me" routine. Well, sorry South Park fans (er, morons), that only works with the teenaged mentality friends you surround yourself with. =)

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hey AaronVA1983, you're just upset because you know, deep down in your crusty little heart, that there is no way in hell that EA will win a copyright infringement case against South Park Studios or Comedy Central.

Either that or you're a Family Guy fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.