Ear buds don't work until restart

julien_4

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
So one day, my earbuds stopped working. I restarted my phone and they worked, then I took the earbuds out and put them back in and they don't work.So I restarted and the cycle starts over again. Please help. And by the way I checked for lint

Solution
Have you tried using them with more than one app? Also have you tried a different pair of headphones?

I am asking because this seems to be leading me towards your needing to do a "Hard Reset" of the phone, however I personally would love to put that off, as it wipes all data, so unless you back it all up, you would lose anything you have on the phone.

One last thing I would suggest, before resorting to the "Hard Reset", try downloading the following app from Google Play... it is called "Soundabout". It is not for you to continually use, but to allow you the force the phone to recognize the headphones. If it does (as I have seen it work for others) then you can delete the app. But it is a hit or miss option.

Option 1...

The simplest fix is to restart the device. This can sometimes, not always, eliminate any glitches.

Option 2...

The silent/vibrate switch may have been turned on. Here are two ways to check that...

A. To check this you can either use the drop down menu (simply slide your finger from the top of the screen down.). Here you will find options for a few different things like "Wi-Fi", "Screen Brightness", etc. Choose the speaker option and make sure the slider is all the way up.

B. Another way to do this is to go into the "Settings", then "Sound", and finally "Volume". From this screen you can adjust all volumes and make sure that none of them are set to low or on vibrate.

Option 3...

Make sure your phone has the most recent updates. If any changes have been made to the OS for your device, it will have included fixes for known issues. Which your problem could be one.

Option 4...

Your phone is not switching to headset from speaker. This can happen if there is any damage in the jack, or damage to the headset/earbuds.

julien_4

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

I'm intrigued with number 4, it does swich to speakers but shouldn't it not work all the time. A restart fixes it once

julien_4

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

No, but I forgot to mention that when I plug it in the second time, even when i'm not playing any sound, their is a static like beat.

Have you tried using them with more than one app? Also have you tried a different pair of headphones?

I am asking because this seems to be leading me towards your needing to do a "Hard Reset" of the phone, however I personally would love to put that off, as it wipes all data, so unless you back it all up, you would lose anything you have on the phone.

One last thing I would suggest, before resorting to the "Hard Reset", try downloading the following app from Google Play... it is called "Soundabout". It is not for you to continually use, but to allow you the force the phone to recognize the headphones. If it does (as I have seen it work for others) then you can delete the app. But it is a hit or miss option.

Solution