Solved! Earbuds damaged by plugging them into computer?

Feb 26, 2019
This is a bit odd, but I noticed when I was playing R6 that the right side of my earbud was noticeably quieter than the left side. So I switched those earbuds out for another pair I had. Just a quick fyi these earbuds were perfectly fine. Both sides were playing the right amount of sound equally.

When I plugged them into the computer they were fine, but then a few minutes later the same exact problem would happen. I then tried plugging my earbuds back into my phone to see if the earbuds were still having the same problem and now it seems like they are premanately damaged. Same with the older earbuds.

Is there something inside my computer that I need to replace? I'm scared to plugg any other earbuds into the computer because I'm worried they'll get messed up too. Any help is appreciated! If I need to clear anything up let me know.

Solution
ASSuming you have a desktop, which may be easily upgradeable - If you're using your motherboard's on-board audio, you may want to upgrade to a dedicated, better-quality sound card. It sounds like there's too much voltage or maybe a possible impedance mismatch, causing the earbuds to draw too much current. Regardless, this damage shouldn't occur. If your desktop PC has an open slot, preferably a PCIE X1 slot and enough room in the case, you can easily plug in a new card. The audio cables for your case will now plug into your new sound card. Be sure to disable the on-board audio in your BIOS settings and you should be good to go.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
ASSuming you have a desktop, which may be easily upgradeable - If you're using your motherboard's on-board audio, you may want to upgrade to a dedicated, better-quality sound card. It sounds like there's too much voltage or maybe a possible impedance mismatch, causing the earbuds to draw too much current. Regardless, this damage shouldn't occur. If your desktop PC has an open slot, preferably a PCIE X1 slot and enough room in the case, you can easily plug in a new card. The audio cables for your case will now plug into your new sound card. Be sure to disable the on-board audio in your BIOS settings and you should be good to go.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS