Earbuds plugged in, Windows doesn't recognize this action

Nov 17, 2018
Hello, I have a problem with my earbuds. Whenever I plug them in, they appear as "unplugged" in the Playback Devices section of the Control Panel. If someone could help me get this fixed, that would be great. Thanks! -NARbluebird

Edit: Just an update to specify, I have this problem with cheap, unbranded, Vietnamese earbuds.

Solution
Try other earbuds or earphones on your laptop.

Try your earbuds on another audio source.

Determine if the problem stays with the computer or follows the earbuds.

Windows 10? Try the built in audio troubleshooters. Or directly access the audio configuration windows, tabs, and properties by right-clicking the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

There are multiple settings to be found. Explore first, then try some changes. Change only one thing at a time and keep notes. Just in case you may need to undo some configuration change.
Try other earbuds or earphones on your laptop.

Try your earbuds on another audio source.

Determine if the problem stays with the computer or follows the earbuds.

Windows 10? Try the built in audio troubleshooters. Or directly access the audio configuration windows, tabs, and properties by right-clicking the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner.

There are multiple settings to be found. Explore first, then try some changes. Change only one thing at a time and keep notes. Just in case you may need to undo some configuration change.

Solution
Nov 17, 2018
Well, nevermind about that one... I've just been plugging it into the microphone jack. Thanks for telling me to check the location that it was plugged in at, though! Also, for future reference, I have Windows 7, not 10.